Smallest good sub?

Get any sub as REL, SVS, KEF etc. that you like (they are all good) and spend another 100 pounds on a measuring mic as the UMIK-1. Sub integration is the most critical thing to get right and it takes time. Starting with a smaller sub (which you potentially could run wireless at first) is much easier as you can move it around and finetune your setup.

You can do it by ear but don t forget that 3 crucial things need to be setup at the same time and work together: position, crossover and volume. While the approx. position can be located by ear, i found that setting the crossover and volume just right is not something you can do easily by ear. Also, don t forget the phase, which on some subs is easy to set up (0 oder 180 degree), on some other it is more difficult as you can choose any setting between 0 and 180.

So don t oversweat it and just get what you can live with price and sizewise, they will all sound good if set up properly.

2 Likes

Don’t forget too that it’s not just small subs that can be (visually) unobtrusive.

There’s plenty of other options that involve wide (but shallow) enclosures that you can hide behind TV stands, wall mount or put under sofas.

Also, more and more are becoming wireless to make room placement even easier.

When wireless is mentioned, is that between the sub and amp or between sub and phone? Sorry, I don’t know too much about this (don’t think a 252/300 does wireless)

It replaces the RCA cable connection between the sub and your pre amplifier. For the KEF for example you will need to connect a little box to your 252 and plug a wi-fi module into the rear of the subwoofer, thus eliminating the need for a cable between the sub and your preamp. I assume it is similar with other manufacturers.

1 Like

How about the Jern Foundation 500? Opposed drivers in a heavy “cabinet” so should spare the neighbours from structural vibrations.

1 Like

+1 for twin subs.

I went from one Rel T5i to two. Was never unhappy with just one, but the dual sub theory made sense to me so I went for it and - once they’re dialled in correctly - the difference is substantial.

1 Like

Before I bought the Naim N-System I was using a Rega Vulcan Subwoofer. Very happy with it when I had it (in association with Royd Edens fronts and Royd A7s rear). Just did a quick interweb search and found one for £100 used (can’t recall what site)

1 Like

+1 for T9i :wink:

1 Like

Do you know if there’s anywhere where how to use the mic for this purpose is explained in simple-ish terms?

Well once you follow the setup instruction on the minidsp website (who make the UMIK-1) to use with REW software it is quite simple to make the measurements. If you are willing to invest a bit of time i would give it a go.

It is helpful to look at a Youtube Video for an overview of the REW sofware so you can adjust the graphs to show the relevant data.

I m afraid there is no plug and play solution where you just set up the mic and push a button…

I found this post helpful for the general procedure:

1 Like

I have refurbished Kef R107’s which produce very nice bass, but for classical music at medium volumes or less, a sub brings out things like the buzz of the double basses and such.
I look forward to eventually buying the Kef KC62 subwoofer, which is about the smallest a sub gets.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.