Smart Meter connection issues

It does make you wonder but in my case the infuriating thing was that I was told that my gas meter had been changed when I watched the engineers change my electric meter !!!

The first time I got one, I found it quite interesting for about a week, then I ignored it.

(Got more interested when I got Solar panels, but thats a different matter)

Probably most people are like this, but with the increase in fuel prices, I suspect many more will be looking at them now. Some will hopefully adjust there usage, particularly where there is obvious waste (e.g. leaving lights on in every room just in case you may enter that room in the next few hours), but the problem may be fuel poverty when some people will be having to watch the display, possibly more than the telly

This may not be relevant but just has a SMETS2 Gas meter fitted today by EDF. They have to come back another day to commission it (press a button) because their system is down. Now the engineer was telling me that the DCC (the centre which all meters communicate with) had been hit by the storms last year and went down for quite a while. Since then, there have been a number of odd days when the service has been down. So I suppose this might be the cause of some peoples issues

An update

Octopus responded when I referred the case to the Ombudsman, but before they even opened the file to investigate. Octopus accepted the annoyance of delays and also found that the radio signal in my area had improved. Hey presto, after a bit of fiddling our smart meter is connected.

It turned out that since June had not been recording Economy 7. This electricity is to an annexe of our house that has storage heaters because we don’t use it every day. Far and away the biggest usage is to charge our electric car, which we have tended to do in the day (stupidly).

Octopus have estimated the average usage is 60% day 40% at night and have reimbursed what we would have saved in that ratio if we’d accessed E7 since June (over £200). They also gave me £100 as a goodwill payment and because that left our account at -£26 they cancelled that too. Finally as of tonight were on the fixed GO EV tariff for a year! 7p per unit 12.30am to 4.30am means we need to be much more diligent using the timer to charge then.

So, delays accepted when they have responded they have done so pretty thoroughly and fairly. A little kudos to Octopus, and also to the Ombudsman. Referral to them clearly had an effect even before they investigated the complaint!

Bruce

1 Like

great results - I expect all your neighbours will be coming around with their extension leads

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.