SN2 vs SN3

I can vouch for SN3 with NDX2 as being an excellent system. A lot better than Nait XS2 with ND5 XS2 and better than NDX2 with SN2.

1 Like

I went from Nova to a SN2 and NDX2 back in April, and it was a substantial improvement, more so than I was expecting.

1 Like

I’m wondering how the SN3 sounds with a ND5 XS2 which is really good IMHO?

2 Likes

Good to hear from others that a SN3 + NDX2 or ND5 X2 should bring more to the party. If I can make it happen, the NDX2 will likely be my first choice but a friendly Naim dealer did make me aware that the ND5 X2 will also be great partner for the SN3.

4 Likes

Yes, I replaced a Nova with SN2/NDX-2/XPS/Hi-Cap DR. With System Animation it’s as easy to use as the Nova. Both the devices can be controlled from either the remote or the Naim App.
As expected, the separates do sound better. it’s the perfect upgrade to the Nova because you get better SQ without losing Nova’s ease of use. You can also upgrade with power supplies.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Have never tried the System Automation feature as I’ve only owned a Superuniti, N272 and a Nova over the last few years… Seems I will need a mono 3.5mm to RCA cable for this to work.

Did find this lovely bit of info from a recent thread.

The ND5 X2 would also be a great match, I am sure. The NDX2 will sound better, with the nice screen too, but at the price point the ND5 X2 will be no slouch with the SN3.

2 Likes

Upgrade fever. :blush: Well, you could always go for the 202/200 used which is cheaper than Supernait 3 new. You would never know if the 202/200 sounds better than SN3. For me the separates are an improvement over the Nait XS.

2 Likes

You can use a stereo cable. It makes no difference. Both work.
Best

David

Funny my dealer said the SN3 was more impressive than the 200/202 which surprised him and all the staff. Really impressed with the SN3/NDX2 getting better every day… the NDX2 is so good I’m barely playing vinyl, which is awesome and slightly annoying at the same time…

Also another dealer told me that the SN3 doesn’t need the hicap (like the SN2 did) as any improvement was minimal if any, anyone using them together recommend if it’s worth it or not?

4 Likes

In my experience the SN2 certainly does not need a HCDR. I concluded it was better without, but suspect I’m in the minority on that.

G

2 Likes

As always loads of opinions. You need to rely on your ears or people that you know have similar taste :slight_smile:

1 Like

It sounds strange to me but, of course, it is a matter of tastes

1 Like

Usually old naim dealers consider the external psu as a keystone for naim improvement

Great idea for sure. Harder to find used Naim equipment in my part of the world however. One of my (girlfriends) concerns is box count of course. Funny how true most of the posts above are. Some dealers say one thing, others differ. I’ll have to listen with my own ears!

For right now this is just a thought exercise for me. I have no concrete plans until after the Holidays and I’m still holding out hope that Naim will release an updated NDAC, to take the new streamers even further.

1 Like

A Sensibile dealer.
Up to date classic series remains untouched since its introduction (very early 2000’s )and not discontinued.

That shows how hard is to improve those gems other than the DR technology
SN follows the hype of theTimes and possibly aiming at being the ultimate expression of the Nait.
Again after 10 year

1 Like

As do Naim even today with respect to the SN3:

Capture

how would a NAP 200 improve a SN2 or SN3?

the power amp section.

3 Likes

Yeah even Naim tell you that.
That speaks volumes on how hyped are people about the next big thing.
We want ears