SN2 vs SN3

Perhaps the latter can become the first; and if it wasn’t sometimes, we would have moved little since we came down from the trees.

1 Like

I appreciate your thoughts as always Gary. Also nice to know Naim has made a step forward with one of the products in a way that can appeal to folks who appreciate the “old”.

2 Likes

The differences that I notice between my SN2 and SN3 is that timing is more accurate. Also, now that the SN3 has run in for 3 weeks or so, I notice that bass is slightly tighter - notes start quicker and seem to have more harmonics as they crescendo and then decay. This could be construed as lighter bass but is not the case - bass is of a higher quality.

All other gear is the same, NDX2 with attached USB SSD (Naim app) and Roon with identical attached USB SSD into Neat SX1 speakers. Also, tidal and Qobuz on both systems.

My SN2 was only a few months old and my deal to upgrade to SN3 was very favourable so a no brainier for me. Would the upgrade be worth it if you had to spend £1.5k to £3.5k for the pleasure? Yes! Better value for money than going down the Nac/Nap/PSU route!

2 Likes

I’ve owned Naim for 36 years and have never consciously looked for pace, rhythm, or timing. I just find it makes music enjoyable. I’ve listened to a few others, Linn, Rega and Bryston, and they just don’t do it for me. No idea why really.

5 Likes

That’s very interesting and food for thought. Thanks for the feedback.

[quote=“hungryhalibut, post:85, topic:3825”]
have never consciously looked for pace, rhythm, or timing. I just find it makes music enjoyable
[/quote]…
…then it might be the PRAT that makes it like that rather than tonal accuracy or soundstage… :grinning:
I agree with you that hifi gear has also to be listened to with “guts” other than brain.

very nice feedback…

especially where you tag a value to your experience with the SN3…

will i be correct to read that for a current SN2 user and in the market for a pre loved HCDR - at a price of about GBP 900 or so - this makes more sense than to go in for a new Naim SN3 ??

regards

I have no experience of external PSUs as I wouldn’t consider having one. My train of thought is that the SN3 has better transients than the SN2 so surely even with an additional PSU the transients wouldn’t improve to the same extent. Obviously just an opinion and not based on factual listening.

I suppose it depends on your budget. £900 will certainly improve matters but an SN3 already has a better PSU and you would end up with a top of the range integrated - the perfect single box solution.

However, if you are going down the multi box route I suspect that you will end up with NAC and NAP rather than integrated so the HCDR makes more sense.

2 Likes

This does make your insight and experience of the various amplifier options rather limited. Perhaps you might be better placed to offer an opinion if you knew what the various combinations actually sounded like?

Yes @Svetty, you are correct and I wouldn’t have commented except that @anon93526344 asked me a question and I think it polite to respond. I did make my position very clear and am confident that I won’t misleading mpw in any way.

Equally, I am confident that mpw will not consider my response as advice and will seek more helpful responses elsewhere :grinning:

My personal stance and opinion is that I want to limit the number of boxes in my system - mpw may or may not have the same considerations.

As always, opinions are welcome on these forums and I ensure that I qualify mine.

2 Likes

Thank you…

2 Likes

Hifi+ have reviewed the Supernait 3. You can read the review here on the Naim website:

3 Likes

Second picture is of XS3 :grimacing:

Yes, I’m not sure why that’s there unless it’s to compare with the other inside pic of the Supernait 3 just below it.

Thank you.

It seems that the SN3 is a mighty integrated, a real benchmark in its market segment; it also seems that the SN3 improvement over SN2 is clearly much more incremental than that of the SN2 over the SN1; and also that, beyond subjective expectations, none of the three falls short to superbly move almost any mid-high-ranking speaker, even the most coveted floorstanders.

Cheers and greetings to the forum.

2 Likes

Kind of settles it for me if the SN3 has no problem with the Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3.

Well, it seems that none, and also with good synergy; and personally I can guarantee that the SN2 also does not have any problems with the ProAc K6, not even to take them to a volume neighbors-not friendly in a medium to large room, and with a magnificent synergy too.

2 Likes

I have the upgrade fever right now. Thinking of changing my XS2 for the SN3 instead of NAP200/NAC202. Just thoughts for now.

1 Like

I am close to moving forward and replacing my Uniti Nova with a SN3 and NDX 2 or a Hi-Cap DR & ND5 X2. Seems either combo will be a set up from the Nova. My Melco N1A/2 will remain and continue it’s role as a music server only.

Has anyone tried a comparison between a Nova and SN2 with an NDX or ND5 X2?

You can’t go wrong with either of these 2.