SN3 as a Pre-amp for Active Speakers?

As per the title, can my SN3 be configured as a preamp only when (if) I convert my PMC’s to active?

Thanks

There isn’t a preamp only setting per se; use the “biamp” output socket on the back, and disconnect the speakers. The power amp stage will remain functional it just won’t be feeding speakers, but it will be powering the preamp circuit.
You’ll need a suitable connecting cable with a 4 pin din on one end.

IMG_7313

1 Like

Thanks for that, sounds do-able, maybe not optimal. I haven’t heard the actives yet so may not go that way but if I do I need a preamp of sorts ( I have a Hegel DAC, OPPO HA-1 headphone amp, and OPPO 205 disc player all of which can act as preamps with varying levels of connectivity.

The Sub Out rca is unfiltered also.

The Supernait sub out has a 100R resistor to allow it to work with long subwoofer cables. Naim say that this can affect the transparency of the signal, so best to use the dedicated DIN pre out.

Your profile suggest you have PMC Twenty5 22i speakers. How do you propose to take these active, when they only have a single pair of speaker binding posts, according to PMC?

The pmc “active” isn’t just an active crossover, it’s a whole plugin amp that sits in the bottom.

“ The Active twenty5 upgrade pack is an easily installed module, simply replacing the backplate of your speaker with a complete input/crossover/amplification unit that connects to the speaker’s drivers with a single multipin plug.”

2 Likes

Binding post are not used in an active speaker. The pre-out on the SN3 can be used to input into a single rca or xlr on each loudspeaker - depending on how I decide to do it and acquire the correct cabling etc.

1 Like

Hi @Pauljdh
Have you had a chance to explore SN3 with “active” Twenty5 speakers yet ?

Just curious about this possibility?
Thanks

R

No, I intend to go to Moorgate in Sheffield in June, they’re having an open day for them. Feedback from a couple who’ve heard them is excellent…I need a way to power my REL sub and Oppo headphone amp so it may involve some reconfiguration

Thanks for this update. Okay.
Yes, think I saw the same open day note too.

For my part, a good friend has been home trialling the active kit with his existing 22i’s
Anyway, good luck with this idea.
R

Had a first listen of PMC active module yesterday.

Visited my friendly local dealer to collect something.
Whilst there, listened at length to PMC Twenty5 23i as both passive and active.
(Set up with SN3 and HiCap DR, which is what we have at home).

Liked what I heard :+1:

Going to the active version was a nice step forward in SQ.

Cleaner sound.
More control, better resolution.
Maybe more attack and energy in notes.
Felt it was a bit like adding a PSU to a Naim item.

I’m already considering a new pair of these speakers.
I’m now wondering whether to go for the active versions.

BW
R

2 Likes

Does anyone know if I use the SN3 as a preamp, will the speaker terminals still be live? Looking to retain my REL sub which is currently powered by the speaker outputs. Ta

If you use the SN3 wired as recommended in Robert’s reply near the top of thread (retaining the link plug) then yes, the speaker outputs will still be operational.

Thanks, I missed that - appreciate the confirmation!