SN3 as pre amp/HCdr/ND5xs2 vs Atom headphone edition for ATC active speakers, is the Atom HE up to the job?

Question as above please…

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

@NoNaim

1 Like

There’s still some 202s around in the shops so wouldn’t that with fit better than SN3?

Roger

1 Like

Yes I agree but I already have the above. I was just thinking of selling it all and buying the Atom HE as its getting some great reviews with active speakers, but I am worried there will be a big drop in sound quality, what do you think?

@NoNaim, could you possibly let me know if you are pleased with yours?
Thanks

Whilst I can’t give you a comparative view, I heard Atom HE into ATC SCM19a’s at my dealers (cultured audio) last weekend & that combo does sound very good!

1 Like

Ah thanks, that sounds promising. I have 20 active towers so quite similar. I just hope its not to much of a downgrade in sound quality. Not sure what to do really.

The atom he and atc activate will make for a wonderful compact and simple system.

1 Like

But will it sound as good as the combo above do you think?

Only one way to find out…

Slightly off the wall suggestion here but worth considering . Sell the SN3 and substitute in a used 282. Looks like you already have the HiCap and the streamer?
I think that would significantly outperform the Atom HE but of course means retaining boxes.
Just a thought!

1 Like

I reckon yes… the He apparently has a better pre stage then the normal atom, or as suggested get a dedicated pre…I wish I had that deliberation to make!

1 Like

Thanks everyone, well I have done the deal! I will let you all know how it goes in due course :+1:

1 Like

Atom?

Atom HE :+1:

1 Like

Hi there,
I previously owned a 272 with 555DR PS, and PMC Twenty5 26. I sold the lot and purchased ATC SCM40A speakers and a Auralic Vega G2.1.
I would still have that, however I came across some information, which changed my plans. I would love to be able to share this with you, but the post would be deleted and I would probably be suspended from the forum……again😊
So for me the Atom He is a interim step, it is only on loan. What I can say is that I do not miss the Vega and could quite happily live with Atom. No doubt, if I had the Vega to do a side by side comparison, the difference would be immediately apparent. Only you can decide, if you can be happy with the Atom. I should mention I have never used the headphone outputs, so I cannot comment on that aspect of the Atom HE.

1 Like

Well at the end of the day I still have my ND5 xs2 so if it doesn’t work out I will do a deal with a 282 :+1::+1:

1 Like

Ah, I see. It’s generally a good idea to put your system in your profile when asking questions about changing kit.

So I take it your system is SN3/HCDR/ND5XS2/SCM40A and you’re thinking of swapping the first three boxes for an Atom HE? OK, I’ve not heard the Atom HE and there have been some very good reports of using it with active ATCs. But I do know your speakers well and they are very revealing and deserve the best electronics you can give them upstream. I’v recently moved from an Auralic Vega G2 to a Linn Klimax DSM fronting mine and they make exceptional music.

In your shoes I don’t think I would go for the Atom HE, for a couple of reasons. Pound for pound the value of your electronics would get you to at least the level of an Auralic Altair G2.1. I don’t know how this would compare with an Atom HE, but when I auditioned the somewhat similar Auralic Vega G2 against my then 272/XPS, the former won. And those who’ve tried bare 272 vs Atom HE have often preferred the SQ of the former. The other reason for holding off is the continued promise of a higher level Naim pre/streamer. This might be a pipe dream, but since you have a good system at present, it might be worth waiting a while longer.

Whatever you do, have fun, audition if possible and let us know how you get on.

Roger

2 Likes

Hi Roger, I have 20aslt’s. I am really looking to reduce the box count if I can. I will let you know how it goes!

1 Like

Ah, sorry. In that case I’d be even more cautious about ditching the front end for an Atom. The 20s are even more revealing of what’s upstream than the 40s which are in the entry level range, and are a bit more forgiving of the source. The 20s have their roots as near field studio monitors where exceptional transparency is desirable.

Roger

1 Like