SN3 + HiCap DR upgrade

Take your time. It’s no rush. Let it all sink in before you make too many changes.

1 Like

The HiFi Rose 150B is also another really good streamer for Tidal MQA and gets very good professional reviews. I demoed it against an NDX2 and it was not lacking in sound quality performance and also a lot cheaper than the Naim.

I went ndx2 sn3 FTWE HAVING 272 250 dr used system and im quite satisfied. Hicap dr. Im running tunetots and a sub. Not a light demand on the amp.

2 Likes

I also suggest a source first approach. If the OP doesn’t mind going a more technical route, there are a number of interesting options which I have implemented in my system, which is powered by a Nait XS2. All these changes improved the sound so much that I did not feel the need to upgrade the Nait XS2, except perhaps adding a Hicap DR.

The first option is to upgrade the power supply of the Node 2i with an external linear power supply. There are a number of manufacturers and videos on this on Youtube. Similar to Naim’s approach on power supplies this should produce a more relaxed but at the same time clearer sound with lower noise floor.

The second is to get a better external DAC that is powered by a good linear power supply.

The third is to lower the noise floor further by installing a renderer with good linear power supply between the Node 2i and the DAC.

Of course replacing the Node 2i with a better streamer is the most straight forward but even if you get a better streamer, the above 3 suggestions will further improve any streamer.

1 Like

Hi! My opinion is that you could upgrade your node to something better, either from Naim or other brands such as Auralic…
Other way is to improve your room for a better sound.
I personally drive my 803d with an SN3 with no HicapDr for the moment and I am very pleased with the sound, however I had to try several spots in the room for my speakers until it gives the best.

I have a SN3 with the 2i and added a Chord Qutest DAC. I have enjoyed a significant improvement on the 2i, well worth giving it a try.

1 Like

I replaced the powerline lite for a full fat powerline and was amazed at the improvement. Being a bit of a cable skeptic it kind of shocked me. At the week end going to have little play around and see what effect it has on the cds3.

3 Likes

I have the following, NDX2>XPSDR>SN3>HCDR>B&W 804D4. Y advice is go for NDX2 and later XPSDR. There is plenty of grunt to rattle the windows and Impreza the neighbours!

2 Likes

While my gear is not quite analogous to the OP’s kit, my experience may nonetheless be useful. I am running an NDS with 555PS, 252 with a non-Naim power supply and non-DRed NAP 500. Occasionally, my better half likes to listen to what I’m listening to on the main rig through a Bluesound Pulse Flex in the kitchen. The solution for this was to add a Node to the main system and feed the digital signal (via optical connection) to the NDS DAC.

Essentially, this implements one of the earlier suggestions to use a better DAC with the Node. There is no doubt that the sound from the main system is inferior when the Node is feeding the NDS DAC than when the NDS handles everything (the things we do for love :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:). Take-away from this would confirm the source-first advice that seems to be the consensus.

That sounds to me like a good excuse to buy a Muso for the kitchen!

1 Like

At the risk of taking the thread off topic, therein lies a tale. At the same time that I purchased the NDS we also purchased a Muso for another room. I lobbied hard to put a Muso QB in the kitchen, for about the same cost as the Pulse Flex + Node. Alas, better half nixed that over worries that the fabric cover would get dirty in the kitchen, while the Pulse Flex has a metal grid that is more easily kept clean. What’s ironic is that 5 years on technology and circumstances have completely changed what is practical in the kitchen space. The Pulse Flex has been replaced by an Amazon Echo Show, so that we can daily “drop in” on my 92-year old mother-in-law.

Thinking about the original OP…
Seems a simple question about NDX2 or NAC282 ?

So, with an assumption that budget is therefore c.£6k, here are some more nuanced options to consider …

Source first

1. Add an external DAC to existing streamer, such as Chord Qutest or pre-loved Naim nDAC.

2. Upgrade to Naim streamer
    Upgrade to Naim ND5 XS2 + pre-loved nDAC
    Or
    Upgrade to Naim NDX2

3. Preloved helps with limited budget.
    Combinations of new and preloved might help you get both upgraded source and pre-amp for your intended budget. (Take a look at pre-loved items and do the maths)

For example: New ND5 XS2 + pre-loved nDAC + pre-loved NAC282.

Might be interesting to find a dealer that can help to listen and discern which options give best value for your budget. Ideally one that has a pre-loved 282 ready to go.

Hope that’s also a useful additions to the other great ideas already offered above.

Please report back and share how you get on?

KR
R

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.