SN3 v old seperates

If this helps, the SN3 phono sounded better to me than the Rega Aria through the SN3. All from a P8.

1 Like

I didn’t last more than a month with the phono stage in the 222. I’d previously used my Vertere DG1 TT (with AT450ML cartridge) via the Devialet 250, which has an excellent and configurable phono stage. The built in Naim phono stage is not congfigurable and I’m told has a much higher capacitance than the 100microF I needed. It just made the whole thing very dull and flat. I added a Vertere Phono-1 and am smiling again. Bottom line the built in phono stages are ‘an afterthought’ really… if you want the best out of your cartridge.

No, it’s basically a StageLine N built-in. So although it is MM, it is very capable, especially if the SN3 is fed with a HC.

Of course another solution is to go for a higher end MM than what people usually pair with cheap decks or a high output MC. MC is not the only answer to high quality vinyl.

2 Likes

I seem to remember that Naim did indeed market the phono stage as a gesture to those millenialistic hipsters.

Quoting ‘the-ear’:

2 Likes

That’s true and I also had the SCDR later.

Of course, as much as the SN3 phono is very well implemented, it can be improved but at a fairly significant cost and where MC is to be used.

They used those words did they?

Doesn’t change the fact it is nearly a StageLine N.

Of course, the forum has a lot of people who reckon the StageLine is rubbish and constantly tell you how they could have built it better. So if you ask one of them, the phonostages based on it are electronic scum.

Personally, I think it’s good and by extension, I’d be quite comfortable pairing a P8, LP12, SL-1200 or similar level with the SN3 and just use a really good MM or HOMC cartridge and be happy.

4 Likes

Good call, I think it’s the assumption that a gesture can’t also be good quality that’s the problem then? A gesture it might have been, but that didn’t mean Naim didn’t put a sensible amount of effort into designing and integrating a good quality stage?

1 Like

Some also claim that Naim’s built in phono boards are rubbish - and that their stand alone phono preamp is sooooo much ‘better’… :thinking:

Naim Phono Board User Since 1982.

2 Likes

Just for the record, although my Graham Slee is superb, it’s also nearly £1500 new with the supplied power supply, so I in no way expected the Stageline, or inbuilt XS3 stage to compete with it.

The XS3 and SN3 stages are very similar, but it was pointed out to me recently that the SN3 version uses more through hole components, plus is mounted on an entirely separate board, so likely benefits from those differences over the implementation in the XS3.

Sure. Isolated power supply and physically isolated quiet enclosures. But while everything can be improved, that doesn’t make phono daughter cards or the SN3 built-in stage a low quality afterthought.

Of course there will be a level of deck and cartridge beyond which it simply doesn’t make sense to use the built-in one. But a toy gesture it is not.

3 Likes

I’m fairly sure we’re all in violent agreement here :smiley:

In-built Naim phono stages are pretty good!!

2 Likes

Naim’s next progression on from the daughter boards, was the Prefix, to be fitted inside your LP12.

The SUT I’m loaning is 1:10 giving out 3mV from a 0.3mV MC. It sounds well loud enough at 10 o’clock. I wonder if a 1:20 would be better? Would it sound better? I always thought it was good to turn amps up a bit or is that just guitar amps? if 5mV is the average for a MM input then a 1:20 maybe too much.

Well 3mv is already the same as very HOMC.

MM is already in the 4-5mv range. And if it was a digital source, you’d be hovering an hour and a half lower down the dial.

I’ve merged the new thread with your existing one. Not sure why you couldn’t find it - I do recall had to isolate it to do something, so maybe that was it. Anyway, it’s all here now.

1 Like

Thats interesting. Just checked out the Rega Aria and it’s not a budget Phono stage

Back in the nineties Naim made a gesture to cd enthousiasts and what the came up with was the CDS.

2 Likes

I consider to get one and power it of my Nait 5 or SuperNait. I like staying in the Naim ecosphere since that keeps earthing et cetera good.

You’re right on this one feeling_zen

There are quite a number of high quality MM cartridges starting to emerge such as the ones from Vertere, they are receiving excellent reviews

And of course there are a couple of high output MC cartridges from Dynavector that might suit also

1 Like

Aria is basically two Fono (MM/MC) in a sturdier cabinet with beefed up psu.

When I ran Rega IOS phonostage, I was surpriced how much better it was than Aria.

1 Like