Solder banana plugs to speakers?

Have your dealer solder Chord banana plugs to NACA5 cable. Job done.

And why would someone using Super Lumina speaker cables want to do that?

I just have my speaker cables wrapped round raw to the terminals of my Focal Sopra 2s and it sounds great. Spades would work but it sounds great as it is. Maybe this could be improved upon?

I wouldn’t solder to the speaker. However, I don’t like banana plugs at all - such a crude connector, with very small contact area. I prefer either a fork connector, soldered to cable, with screw clamp tightened down hard, or wire through the terminal post hole, tightened down hard. The latter two do need re-tightening in first few weeks, then periodically if necessary, but I think provide better contact than banana. However, I haven’t measured the resistance of any of these, and other than stability and lack of corrosion that is what counts - and in fact soldering to the speaker terminals may well be best electrically & sound-wise, if requiring a high power soldering iron/gun and not the easiest to change. .

To minimise any risk of corrosion especially if location is humid, should the speaker terminal not be the same metal as the cable (copper or, rarely, silver), I’d solder the cable to a copper fork connector plated with the same metal as the surface metal of the speaker connectors (often gold).

I don’t know.

Why would someone want to use Super Lumina speaker cables?

I don’t know. Not me for sure. At least in the U.S. they are vastly overpriced, no matter how much better they sound, IMO. I’ll stand pat with my NACA5.

I have wondered that, especially when used with speakers costing less than the cables,

I couldn’t help notice the positive plug is bent. And that all four banana plugs are unable to insert fully into the bore. Which is actually the cause of the shere force that bends plug pins.

While I favor banana plugs, it is important to use the most appropriate method for the socket. If a banana plug bore hole is shallow and cannot take the full length of the pin, then a spade connection would be preferable.

I always use an old Deltron (because they are full length and some lower cost banana plugs are only 2/3rd length) to test the bore on any new amp or speakers to see if it goes all the way in. Depending on the result, I then terminate that end with a banana plug or spade.

And I agree with @Innocent_Bystander , bare wire (but tinned) through the side hole and screwed down is absolutely not a crime. It’s just prone to human error and therefore inconsistency. If one is paying attention, it also gives a reliable and good contact connection.

1 Like

I wondered that……:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

ATB, J

Not necessarily…… :smirk:.

ATB, J

On reflection Jon, I’d do what others have suggested and talk to your dealer. You shouldn’t have this sort of problem with these cables.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.