Solidsteel SS6 vs SS7

You can get a different top plate which is wider. I think it’s the one from SS5 it’s 190 wide

1 Like

In my previous place I had dreadful radio interference, most likely from a mast 3/4 of a mile away and visible from my kitchen window. At its worst it was like having the radio on at a low volume.

After much experimentation, I found that the dressing of the speaker cables could have a big mitigating effect. What worked best seemed to be to pinch the excess A5 into a hairpin profile, then roll that excess into a tight loop.

I cringed at the necessity of following the “never coil” advice, but I see that I needn’t have worried. :sweat_smile: Thinking about it some more, I had the two runs of A5 running next to the wall at 90 degrees to the direction of the mast; I now wonder if they were acting as an FM antenna?

Could well have been… and the induced RF voltage interacts with your amplifier electronics (intermodulation effects and others) to provide a semi demodulated likely distorted low level audio from the FM…
In this scenarios the speaker could becomes part of a tuned circuit against a capacitively coupled ground through your amp. Changing the shape and/or orientation of the speaker cable can sufficiently detune to prevent RF break through as you discovered.

1 Like

Although it would have been very inconvenient (fitted carpet), an option might have been to lay the cables in some sort of diagonal routing, to make sure that they were at no point parallel either to each other or to the FM transmission.

Thankfully, there are no such concerns in my present home. I remember how, even after spending much time tweaking the cables, the interference would randomly recur, and I would need to move them this way or that to try to get rid of it. As a consequence, my listening time was rarely relaxed, always being a little on edge for the slightest stray murmur or rustle, which would completely puncture the illusion.

Exactly - I ordered the larger plate with my SS6 stands to give my B&W 805’s the maximum support with least overhang,

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.