Some issues with NDX2

With the system definitely installed but still settling, I dealt yesterday to test all the sources and make the comparison that we were getting through: NAS vs. USB HDD into NDX2. Taking advantage of the tug, I also add the impressions vs. Tidal and the use of the NDX2 in server mode from all other systems at home…

Sound quality in my system, in my room, in my settings and to my ears:

1. NAS>AudioQuest Cinnamon>Naim App>NDX2

2. Tidal>Naim App>NDX2

3. USB HDD>Naim App>NDX2

The difference in SQ between the NAS via Ethernet and Tidal is not too big, but the sound via NAS is better.

The SQ via USB HDD is good, but to my ears are quite far from that of Tidal and, above all, that of the NAS.

Functionality in my system:

1. NAS: on all 4 configurations, the main one with the NDX2, another with Marantz SR 6012 and two others with ProJect Stream Box DS, what works best is the NAS, both for SQ and because, out of conviction, I lack Smart Phone and all systems except the NDX2 do permit music programming evenly through their remote control and front screen (or TV).

2. TIDAL: works very well on the NDX2 and the Marantz, except that it also requires Marantz’s dedicated App for its progrmation; it doesn’t work on ProJect Audio streamers that, although perhaps already obsolete, still sound great and are tremendously functional for simple applications in the bedrooms.

3. USB HDD: the sound is the least good and, in addition, using the NDX2 in server mode from the USB HDD, loses a lot on the rest of the streamers in front of that from the NAS, and even against that from internet radio. In addition, and this does seem to me a great but, the Naim server seems too basic and very Spartan to me, basically because it does not allow the import of m3u format playlists and makes it very difficult to configure playlists from the Naim App.

In conclusion, the NAS has not died but quite the opposite, TIDAL is a great source although it has its minus, and the USB HDD and the NDX2 “server mode” are a convenient facility but only for some rush and/or undemanding systems.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.