Songs that make you cry

Take Good Care Of Me

Jonathan Butler

From the album Jonathan Butler, well worth a listen, some great songs,instrumentals and production is good.
Purchased Linn Sara’s and then Briks on the strength of this in the 80s. Ruby Turner’s Women Hold Up Half The Sky helped too.

June Tabor, made me think of this one by her, my grandfather died of

silicosis.

He Fades Away (Album: Against The Streams)

Jeff

You may also like this rendition of Brothers In Arms by Joan Baez.
The organ alone does it for me.

Jeff,
Judy Collins: My Father

Lovely song, will enjoy listening to this when I return home.

Look forward to your additions.

Van Morrison

Carrying A Torch. (Album: Hymns To The Silence)

Now I’ve thoroughly depressed myself I’m going to rejoin our holiday in Funchal and enjoy the street music.
Happy New Year
:tada::clinking_glasses::sunglasses::cry::cry::disappointed_relieved::sunglasses::clinking_glasses::tada:

1 Like

Buffalo Soldiers by Bob Marley, the story of slaves people stolen from their homes and forced into slavery .

The record of the African American soldiers is an interesting one and yes the British did keep their word, emigrating some who fought for them to the Caribbean .

2 Likes

Kings of Leon Cold Desert

Nick Cave - Into my arms

1 Like

Enjoy the firework display on New Years Eve

It’s also an association thing. Brothers in Arms, along with Desperado by The Eagles, were the two favourite songs of my good mate Steve who died too young still in his forties back in 1999, from cancer. So whenever I hear them or mistakenly play them it hits with an almost physical force.

Bach’s Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland BWV 659 played by Angela Hewitt is another I find so beautiful it is hard to hear.

Then of course Judy Collins again with Bread and Roses

“Yes, it is bread we fight for, but we fight for roses, too.”

also Maid of Constant Sorrow, every verse is just laden with melancholy.

But enough of this misery. Happy New Year to you also. :sob:

2 Likes

Thanks,
Been some great music here this year on the Avenue and in the Park.
Tomorrow night blues guitarist, Laurence Jones and the Black Dog Blues band on the Avenue.
Happy New Year
:tada::partying_face::sunglasses::tada::partying_face:

Parisienne walkways by Gary Moore.

Although plenty others experienced live. For sure…

1 Like

Puff The Magic Dragon by Peter, Paul and Mary when I was about ten years old. I guess my own childhood illusions were evaporating with the onset of adolescence.

3 Likes

I don,t cry

streets of london Ralph McTell

1 Like

Anything from Celine Dion. NOT in a good way. Just hearing her name or seeing her face makes me cry…

1 Like

The Undertones ”Teenage Kicks”. I think of John Peel as soon as it kicks in and well up every time.

Joni Mitchell “Both Sides Now”. From “And ice cream castles in the air” I’m a gibbering wreck.

1 Like

On the way to work this morning I started listening to the new Tom Waits covers album “come on up to the house” (available on Tidal). One track sung by Patty Griffin really got to me and I remembered listening to the original many years ago, and just how sad the words really are. Ruby’s Arms by Tom Waits.

1 Like

Hey Joe _ The Jimi Hendrix Experience

1 Like

Not a song because it has no words, but the beautiful, simultaneously poignant and hopeful Second Light from Robert Fripp’s A Blessing of Tears always brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye every time I listen to it.

Solid Air, John Martyn’s platonic love letter to his friend Nick Drake, has a similar effect, in part because its lyrics express feelings towards some of my own friends that I have experienced myself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.