Songs to Test Timing

Or songs where you can tell the timing is off.

Let me start - Merry Go round by Kacey Musgraves. I had a fancy $6K power strip and power cord which I let burn in for a few weeks and mostly wasn’t sure what it did but let it be there anyway… Until I heard this song in the passing - and noticed that the drums? Snares? Always seemed to be off in timing…

With seeds of doubt planted all that fancy equipment was sold off.

The Roots Game Theory is a song where all the musicians play together in a way that makes me feel a strong urgency, the track is full of energy.

Few weeks ago I heard this track on a friends system where the track has lost all its drive, sounded rather boring, as if Malik B. was way ahead and the rest of the band tried to follow him.

1 Like

What an interesting question. I had not given it much thought, but may I suggest this by EBTG? It’s deceptively simple, with piano and harmonies, but with the clicking makes it a good example of what timing should be.

Damn that track is seriously full of energy. Thanks! My timing seems spot on.

Bass is the best bitch to rule timing.
A well tested and tested test is “Safe from Harm” by Massive attack.
Has a fairly simple go through but the bass both leads and follows.
Turned up loud should feel like the air conditioner is turned up enough to make the beard wave about.

4 Likes

Thank you @TOBYJUG - at last, a track I can play!
Next day off - wake up the neighbours…

1 Like

“Sultans of Swing” by Dire Straits.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.