Sony USB turntable

I bought an Apogee Duet ADC/DAC device around 10 years ago to digitise vinyl from my LP12 on a Mac.

I really don’t have the patience to do it and ended up only ripping maybe half a dozen LPs.

If I had the time and inclination I might try again, but I think I’d just rip to files holding Side A/Side B and not bother splitting tagging tracks. Again I just have the patience or am maybe too finicky about it.

That said if you have albums lying around why not give it a go? You may find you use the turntable anyway and the digitising components are a plus if you want them. If the audio is good enough to enjoy digitised from the Sony, it should be more than good enough played ‘live’ on the turntable assuming you incorporate it into your system.

1 Like

My Dad ripped all his vinyl as it was mainly 50’s and 60’s stuff (American import etc) and the idea of putting it all on his iPad/phone so he can listen anywhere/play in the car etc appeals to him now he is older. He sold all his hifi and bought a new decent docking station and is very happy. Oh and he gave me all his vinyl when he was finished …:grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Sometimes there is only the LP available. And In other cases the LP (often an early original pressing) just sounds head and shoulders better than any CD or digital version available. Much of the performance advantage can also potentially be captured by a hi-res digital recording of the LP.

And you don’t need to spend a fortune on recording kit either. A nice Marantz PMD671 can be purchased for around £150 secondhand, records at 24bit 96kHz, and is as easy to use as a cassette deck. Otherwise, there are great USB or Firewire ADCs available for similar money that can be used with a laptop and a freeware recording program like Audacity.

1 Like

Oops I meant digitising, not ripping LPs :flushed:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.