Sony Walkman Connection/ DAC

Hi All

I am very close to purchasing a Sony Hi-Res Walkman (DAP) which I will use on the move and connect to my separates at home. I currently have a NAC 82/ NAP 180.

My query is, what is the best way to connect the Walkman to the NAC 82? I know I can get a cable from 4.4mm balanced headphone socket on the Walkman to 5 pin Din input on the 82, but is this the best way to do it? The other option I think is to buy a standalone DAC with USB input which I can then connect to the Walkman WMPort.

If I go with the second option will I then also be able select tracks using the DAC remote? Looking at an Audiolab MDAC.

Thank you for any help.

Depends what DAP it is but for my Sony ZX2 and 1Z I just use a 3.5mm to 5 Pin DIN cable from Flashback cables when i want to plug into a Naim amp. Leave the 4.4mm Pentaconn for balanced phones.

James - thanks for the reply.

Is that an old Nait?

Sony DAPs are not all the same, but I’m not sure if it’s possible to use them into an external DAC. You can certainly use a 3.5mm jack to 5 pin DIN cable, though, as James says. The Flashback cables are great value, or you can try Naim or Chord.

It is. I don’t really need it but always wanted one :heart_eyes:

Worry not, my house is full of things I don’t really need… And after all the old chrome bumper stuff looks a lot better than the new stuff. IMO of course.

How is the sound from the Walkman? I have always thought a setup like this would do away with a lot of the hard disk server/ app/ dac paraphernalia.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.