Sorry for another power cable thread: What would be the best choice for an Atom? (Audiquest vs. Chord vs. Isotek)

Oh, I am a little jealous now. With that or with the 10 meters of Richard I could build a Faraday cage in my room. :joy:

Great to hear that you can benefit from the whole potential here …

1 Like

The other thing that might be worth bearing in mind is that a less than 3.5m run of NACA5 would be something one would likely have to take to grave, as a (vast?) majority of Naim users may not even consider that.

Granted, it’s not that expensive to begin with, but still.

3 Likes

You might find room e.g. behind some furniture, where you can do the firecracker fold like this:

Photo credit: Mike-B in an older thread.

As you can accommodate 2,5 meters, maybe this lets you add another meter. Also one long fold is an option like in my pic that I linked further up. Would only have to be 2 x 50 cm to take out one meter

1 Like

The 2X 6m are for a good reason, my system is on the wall right and my speakers on the wall front. So I have nothing between my speakers… it sounds better like that.

Too tight like this?

1 Like

Here it is like this:

Unfortunately no other possibility (at the moment) …

You gained a 77 like :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I understand better. Can you make some holes in the rack and then the cables will be hidden under it?

1 Like

Yes, that was my only goal … :joy:
Just kidding. Thanks.

I could try that “firecracker fold” under the sideboard as suggested by @Suedkiez and @Airdavid.

Learned a lot today. Thank you.

2 Likes

I don’t believe so, but Mike’s are neater :wink: I believe the main point is to avoid coiling as this changes capacitance and impedance.

The inter-winding capacitance of a coil is sometimes called self capacitance, but this is a different phenomenon. It is actually mutual capacitance between the individual turns of the coil and is a form of stray, or parasitic capacitance. This self capacitance is an important consideration at high frequencies: It changes the impedance of the coil and gives rise to parallel resonance. In many applications this is an undesirable effect and sets an upper frequency limit for the correct operation of the circuit.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance)

I wanted to say after seeing your pic (very nice by the way), the sideboard seems perfect to fold up a meter of cable, or two, behind them

2 Likes

I ran 2m lengths of A5 for a few years with my Nova and it is fine. If you have longer lengths it is hard to conceal, as it is very stiff and inflexible. Unless you want to future proof for having longer cables in the future, with an Atom a “less is more” approach should be fine with 2m lengths.

2 Likes

The fireraker fold seems much more efficient and effective as too tight a bend in the later cable could in fact break a few loose strands internally and so ompromise the signal integrity.

1 Like

Reading this thread, I noticed many members suggesting you not spend a lot on a cable at the mo. That probably makes sense, and dedicated mains would be be better I believe. But if you decide to put all that on hold for now, you could at least change out the wall receptacles that your gear plugs into for not a lot of cash.
The builders receptacles are generally very cheap things, and the contact surfaces are terrible.
Hubbell makes some, but there’s also Furotech and the like. With these, at least the power cables you have will be connected to some good contacts.
I noticed a difference when I replaced mine. I don’t have dedicated mains to the house because I’ll be moving in a few years, but I have four dedicated inside circuits from the panel to my audio gear receptacles. Best I can do for now.

3 Likes

I hope not mine!

This is certainly worth exploring but it will largely depend on the type of sockets as different countries use different socket outlet at the wall. I have compared British switched socket outlet BS1363(Type G) 3-pin rectangular and American NEMA 5-15(Type B) and the difference in sound quality between the sockets /receptacles is massive. I am not sure about Euro sockets in Germany, whether there will be an appreciable difference between the standard socket and an aftermarket one (switched vs unswitched, different material plating etc.)

1 Like

@Richard.Dane, do you think my naca 5 are tight too much (not used any hairdryer, just made by hands …) to compromise and a damage strands ?

Thank you
David

Switched sockets are not used used in domestic environments in Germany.

They look just fine to me David.

2 Likes

Personally, i think yes as the cable bend looks to be forced unnaturally especially as naca5 is quite a hard cable to bend anyways. When i set up my cable i always made sure there are no tight bends which put a tight kink in the cable. Any bend should have a constant radius bend as in the firecracker picture.

Airdavid’s cables are perfectly fine like that. It’s the ideal way to deal with excess lengths of A5 cable.

1 Like

Thank you HH!
I was worried about bending the câbles too much with my hands to the point of compromising the internal strands !! :flushed:

1 Like