Sort artists’ album by release date

FYI I emailed Naim’s support about this and here’s the answer:

Thank you for your email, and your suggestion.

I will forward the details to our app development team, and if it’s something they think will benefit a majority of our users, they’ll most likely include it in a future update.

Kind regards,
Duncan

Duncan Roberts
Technical Support

So, if anyone else interested, it would be good to “push” the support :wink:

That is very poor.
I have heavily modified my AssetUPnP browse tree which provides a much richer user experience.

Naim do not seem to have fully embraced the streaming revolution.

1 Like

I wouldn’t get too excited. People have been moaning at Naim about this ever since the Core appeared. They never do anything about it, so really it’s a case of suck it up or get a decent upnp solution.

3 Likes

I recall that such complaints were made of the Unitiserve years before the Core arrived. People’s hopes were dashed when it turned out that the Core had even more limited metadata handling that its predecessor.

1 Like

There’s maybe a new management and development team since… more open to customer’s request…

To digress - Using AssetUPnP (which is very flexible) it is possible to handle classical tags well.
I can access classical albums in my library in every possible manner that classical enthusiasts will desire.
It needs some customising of the Asset browse tree and tag editing to maximise the benefit. This is simple using software like dBpoweramp but obviously tedious, but worthwhile.

I posted a topic in 2021 describing what I did.
I can access the library by composer, work, movement, conductor, orchestra etc.
The article is at
Changing metadata to improve Classical Music presentation - Streaming Audio - Naim Audio - Community

If you use AssetUPnP then the Naim App displays the Asset browse tree.

You should be clear that it is not the Naim App that is the problem it is your server - the Core server.
Classical enthusiasts do not even have access to the primary tag, i.e. Composer, on the Core server.

Other solutions holding the music library on a NAS or PC with server software can provide the App with what is required.

This is a great feature, I forgot Asset offers this. Nice to have it back.

A related question:
I have my artists’ albums sorted alphabetically (which is the way I want them to appear), but I would also like to have each album’s year of release displayed somewhere (either before or after each album title). Is there any way to configure this in the Asset browse tree?

I can only get things to display alphabetically (without the year showing, as I have it now) OR by year of release.

Ideally, I want albums to appear in alphabetical order as shown in the attached example + the year of release alongside each title (NOT in chronological order).

I’m sure I’m just missing something.

If you want the release date visible you’re going to have to add it to the album title. Add it at the beginning and the albums will no longer display alphabetically. Add it at the end and you won’t be able to see it on titles that are too long for the space available in the app.

Ah, that’s unfortunate… I thought there might be a way. I realize it would be messy for the app to display everything, but as robust as Asset is (and given that the metadata is all there), it would be nice to be able to pick and choose a few more items of info. Displaying album/track duration (other than when a track is currently playing) would be practical too…

Wow, another fan of the works of Stelvio Cipriani :grinning: … perhaps we’ve met on another forum … I have all of those scores, too, though maybe not in those releases.

Anyhow, I agree with ChrisSU, the only way I see of achieving it, is to incorporate the year into the album title. I’d use [1971] after the title but this may not always be immediately visible where the title is long. Of course, having the year in the metadata does allow you to display the albums chronologically but I note this is not what you seek.

I’ve been adapting my sort/display requirements for my music library for several years, limited to what the metadata/server allow. Compared with storing CDs on shelves, it’s a step forward even if the desired result isn’t fully achieved.

1 Like

I’m not sure I get you on this point…
Are you takling about the Naim app ?
Because the date is in the metadata…

Agreed … you appear to have misunderstood my post. JohnT21 had stated that he wanted to see the year as part of the album title, not to use the year as a means of sorting/displaying the albums.

When selecting music, I use the album year some times, my wife frequently (mostly with classical works so as to distinguish multiple recordings of a chosen piece).

Yes, I realize the year is in the metadata…
I was looking for a way to keep the albums displayed alphabetically in the Naim app… AND have an additional item of metadata—the year—displayed.
But as Musicmad wrote, the only way to do this is to change the metadata by adding the year to the album title (which is not really what I want to do).

(And yes, Musicmad… I’m a fan of Cipriani’s music… along with the works of many other Italian film composers of the era.)

My take on this is that I value the option to view albums chronologically when I am exploring an artists work, in which case it probably won’t yet exist in my own library. Once I’ve chosen to add albums to my library (which for me could mean ripping a CD, buying a download, or increasingly often, just adding it to my library within Qobuz) the release date becomes less important, and I wouldn’t want to add it to the album title.
There are ways of browsing an artists work chonologically, either by using Roon which gives you the option of release date or alphabetically, or browsing through a subscription service (Tidal,Spotify, Qobuz etc.) which generally list artists work by release date too.

When exploring an artists work my first port of call is often Wikipedia, as this is only a couple of taps away when you’re controlling your streamer from the Naim app. This nearly always has a discography, along with lots of other potentially useful information. There is is invariably a much bigger picture to an artists catalogue than just the release date, and exploring this is to me more rewarding than just viewing a list of dates. In addition to Wikipedia there’s always a host of other information avaiable from artists own websites, discogs website, Rovi, etc. I tend to see this as beyond the scope of a mere control app (other than Roon).

1 Like

And by AssetUPnP as described earlier.
Not sure Qobuz shows them in chronological order (don’t know about Tidal or Spotify).

Tidal, on my devices, shows albums in chronological order (newest first).

Can’t remember making any choice or setting for this, I think it’s just the default.