Speaker Build - Faital 3WC-15

Definitely check out Troels Gravesen’s page, plenty of smaller projects. If you can build a kayak I’m sure you’ll have no issues!

Also look at Heissmann Acoustics, which also seem well regarded by some

2 Likes

It of course depends on how small you’re looking for. But assuming you have a little budget, just less than needed for these, I would definitely look at Troels Gravesen.

Plenty of projects to choose from, including two smaller, more budget friendly, versions of the ones I built.

1 Like

Been looking forward to seeing this!

Good idea getting the wood pre cut slightly oversize, a full sheet of Baltic birch at that thickness would be incredibly heavy!

I’m going to borrow that method of clamping … neat!

How did you find the crossover building? That was the thing I was most apprehensive about :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been binge watching Peter Millard on YouTube, he has corner braces (“square enough clamping guides”) like that you can use to clamp up panels in a similar way

1 Like

Fantastic work @n-lot, they have turned out so well, you must be proud of them. You’ve said before that you love the sound, I bet they’ve only got better as those rather large drivers have settled in :slightly_smiling_face:

They look great in your room, they’re very large speakers but don’t look dominating at all … perhaps I should show that pic to my wife :joy:

Again, fantastic work, thanks for sharing the build pics :+1:

Cheers
Mark

1 Like

I’ll check those videos out, thanks

1 Like

Another recommendation for Troels, aside from being fantastic designs you can ask him questions and he’ll get back to you usually the same day. Michael at Jantzen Audio handles the orders and is also very friendly and helpful.

Plenty of smaller designs to choose from … in fact there’s so much choice is hard to decide … I have three on my short list for my next build :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

How did you measure that?

TBH, I only used that corner piece for the test fitting. I find that with the clamping like done in the next set, i.e. two across the lenght and two across the width for each side, you have a bit more control as you can tighten and loosen each individual one. Also using the corner brace you’re not putting any force on the joint itself, you’re just holding it square. For the final glue, in addition to the above I used the centre brace and a “beam” to keep things square, see pic.

Having done some electronics in the past I wasn’t apprehensive about it, but when actually doing it I found my soldering skills had gotten really rusty, which made it less fun than I had anticipated.

My girlfriend had initially discounted them as too large, but she really liked the idea of me making something and at some point said herself that I should just make these if these were the ones I really wanted. I think what helped was involving here in the decision about the model, but also the design of the build itself. I.e. exposed edges, no further stripes on the face like Troels tends to do, the finish, the slot port, a grille etc.

Remember to disconnect the bass driver from the crossover. And of course it only makes sense to measure the frequency that driver plays at, not up to 20kHz like in the article. I also didn’t distribute the measurements evenly, having them closer together around the approximate frequencies.

2 Likes

@BruceW I fully agree with this, the support you get from Troels both up front and during the build is invaluable.

Amazing. I find it really hard to describe though (in general, not just for these). Everything is very clean, but also very textured. They’re neutral, but not boring. The integration between the drivers is like nothing I’ve heard before. They sound great at any volume, with any genre, again something I haven’t experienced before.

They’re easily among the best speakers I’ve ever heard (but I appreciate I might not be the most objective listener).

2 Likes

Perhaps good to add that I also used biscuit joints which I found were really nice to keep things aligned properly.

1 Like

Thanks very much, and I didn’t mean to put you on the spot! I was really just hoping that they turned out sounding good, and the work was worthwhile. I have similar concerns to the ones you stated about DIY speakers, particularly the investment, and whilst there are no guarantees it seems like the TG designs are good :slight_smile:

No worries, I fully understand. I found it incredibly scary.

You’re free to come and have a listen if you think that will help.

That’s very generous, thank you :slight_smile: I’m almost there with my decision making, have a bench build planned this month or next. Assuming that goes according to plan I’ll order the parts and materials for the Illuminator 77s. (Though a trip to NL (?) would always be enjoyable - I haven’t been for ages!)

1 Like

NL indeed. Which of the 77s are you (considering) building, 7741 or 7751 ?

Ah, the 71 sorry. I’m planning on the floorstanding cabinet version of the 71. Same as Mark63 built, but with the taller, shallower cabinet. One of my own Neat SX3s took a tumble off its stand a few months ago and although it still sounds absolutely fine, I really need to get going with their replacement as a result!

2 Likes

Looking at that design, he does have the crossover in a separate compartment like I did.

In the other thread you asked about having them outside completely, but why not just do what I did? Mount the crossover on a board (in my case 3-4mm MDF) and just place it on the bottom of the cabinet, and at the back create a panel that can be easily removed. This way you don’t have a separate box anywhere else and still have good access.

I’ll see if I can take a picture later.

Do make sure you buy additional lengths of cable when you buy the kit, I had ordered 2m extra of each colour and still ran short. l needed the extra length because of the alternative crossover location, and additionally, as there’s no room to solder in the compartment, I needed even more length to be able to pull the crossover out.

1 Like