Speaker Build - Faital 3WC-15

It all started with the builds by @Mark84. It got me thinking at what a fun project it would be to build my own speakers. Fun, but scary.

I’d never done any serious woodworking. And these speakers would likely end up being expensive, while impossible to audition beforehand. And let’s not think what would happen if I failed…

After debating for a long time, making cardboard mockups (can’t find the pics), I finally ordered the kit mid 2022. It then still took me until February 2023 to start the build, and March 2024 to start this thread :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I took three weeks of work, rented a workshop, and bought some panels. I had the panels cut to size (+ ~2cm) by the shop I bought them from to safe myself some work.

At home, I chose which panels would be front back, etc. and gave what I’d chosen as outside a coat of Osmo hardwax oil. I then took everything to the workshop to start:

11 Likes

First assembly finished, the port and bottom of the bass cabinet.

Some test fitting

11 Likes

All the circles cut out of the bracing are coming in handy when glueing:

16 Likes

Awesome work n-lot - great to see them coming together in the posts so far!!

3 Likes

Felt and cabling:

13 Likes

Routing the front panels:

16 Likes

I’m actually quite proud of this repair I did when I botched a cut:

12 Likes

Assembling the Crossover:

13 Likes

After sanding I took them home and gave them a few more coats of the Osmo hardwax oil:

9 Likes

And then finally, the finished product:

25 Likes

Things I should have probably written in the opening post:
It’s Troels Gravesen’s Faital 3WC-15 design. I’ve adapted it in the following ways:

• I extended the cabinet so it wouldn’t need stands. This also allowed me to place the crossover in the bottom, outside the cabinet as it’s seen by the drivers.
  • As I used 24mm panels instead of 20mm, I’ve also increased the depth to maintain interior volume.
  • And as some of you will have noticed, I’ve converted from round ports to a slot port.

With the port conversion and cabinet size adaptation, how did I do on the tuning? It’s tuned to 31, instead of 32 Hz. According to Troels an excellent result to only be 1 Hz out. I’ll take his word for it.

I haven’t been too good about documenting every step of the build, so there’s multiple pictures of some steps, none of most. Luckily my girlfriend, who’s an art photographer came by the workshop a few times to take some pictures. Any of the above pictures that are any good are likely hers.

And also a big thanks to @Mark63 & @Mark84 for the inspiration and encouragement.

12 Likes

…how do they sound then???

*they look great, and nicely put together

2 Likes

@n-lot you are awesome !!!:clap:t2::muscle:t2:

1 Like

Nice work and great to have something you have crafted yourself. I hope they sound great! :+1:

1 Like

Faital attraction.

3 Likes

Very nice work and thanks for sharing. I built all my home theater speakers except the subwoofer so I appreciate the amount of work that you put into these.

1 Like

Fantastic. Can anyone suggest resources where I might find a smaller scale self build project (in scale and cost)?
I might be tempted. I did build a wooden kayak during lockdown…and wouldn’t mind a new project.

Bruce

1 Like

Your starter for 10.

3 Likes

Ridiculously appropriate. I had to check the website to see if you had edited the name!

Thanks

Bruce