Speaker cable for Supernait 3

THANK YOU! very much for all your comments and insights. I have finally procured a preowned 5m pair of NACA5 which are terminated with banana plugs. They are not soldered but crimped and the connections appear to be quite solid. The dealer had Naca4s and 5s and told me that the difference is in the insulation material, with the 4s being more pliable and the 5s terribly stiff. Would that be the correct way to ID the 4 from the 5? So I have 5 m of cable on each side which is a lot for me as I never had to use more than 2.5m. I have a typical old school set up where the amp is plonked in the middle of the 2 speakers and there might be quite a few who have this sort of set up - so what do you do with the extra length of cable? do you just let it fall over on the floor and just leave it there? or is there some other form of cable management trick to this? Thank you again for your insights.

@Mike1159
Fold excess cable firecracker style don’t coil.
Don’t like the crimp on 5 it should really be soldered perhaps they could be oversoldered on the crimp to flood.
Nac 4 is softer and NAC 5 is very stiff.
I’ve only ever seen NAC 4 in black never white.

I see - that’s interesting. I will do just that. I’d prefer a solder tight connection too and am handy with a soldering iron and have the kit but with the Phantoms on the order and if they do arrive in this lifetime, I am not sure if I will keep or sell one or the other. I suppose if the Naca5 turns out to be a keeper, I will get it soldered. The interesting thing is that my Supernait 3 - just unboxed - comes with the standard Naim banana plugs attached to the speaker jacks - I didnt know these would be included so thats a pleasant surprise. Thank you very much Skeptikal :smiley:

1 Like

Your welcome.
Indeed I did get the same plugs with my Supernait-3 and Cymbiosis terminated my pair of Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cables with them. :+1:t2:
Oh and if you have some excess KS-1 you can do a figure 8 with the excess.

2 Likes

That’s a very neat layout. Thank you again .

1 Like

I have only seen NAC A4 (*) in White… Same with NAC A5… :astonished:

(* I bought my A4 leads back in 1982, when it was quite new - and didn’t have any Naim branding on it, to show directionality.)

1 Like

Maybe… So I thought I was, until I tried soldering A5… Not fun… :slightly_frowning_face:
Best left to a Naim dealer, in my view… :expressionless:

2 Likes

Who’d a thunk. :joy:
I remember comparing it to linn K20 “ was the same. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Same taste in speakers X3s :heart_eyes:
Try KS-1 :wink:

oh - that bad? I took a closer look at the plugs. They are thickish.

2 Likes

As I only recently moved from NAC A4 to A5 leads, and I am quite happy with those, I will not be looking at anything else… :expressionless:

YMMV…

post a picture of your crimped plugs, maybe…?

My present set of A5 leads have Naim SA8’s at the amp end, and crimped plugs (probably Deltrons) at the speaker end. Am leaving well alone.

(The set of A5’s that I soldered, I sold on… :astonished: )

Whoever soldered your SA8s might have soldered the Deltron plugs too.
That’s what I use. :wink:
Lovely job by Peter @Cymbiosis :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Those are the solder type Deltron’s, as on my A4 leads.

These are my crimped on ones -

Deltron 580-100 - ??

1 Like

Deltrons are great no nonsense plugs. :+1:t2:
Thanks for the pic.

Soldered Deltrons, on my older NAC A4 leads.

See… White…!!!

(rather off white now, due to their age)

1 Like

@IanRobertM
Thanks
I did try K20 Linn cable before but the Kudos gave more bass and lower end detail slam.
I was amazed with it being so thin.

Linn K20 is ‘remarkably similar’, I believe (or it was…) to Naim NAC A4 - and must represent very good value (new), at a lot less than £10 per metre… :astonished:

Although… NAC A5 can be found for around that price, pre loved.

1 Like

Find a local Naim/Home AV dealer, they’ll almost certainly have a bin full of NAC A5, K20
and similar you can make a new set from. I’ve certainly done similar myself, just the cost of a set of plugs and whatever can be done over a handshake and a coffee.

Will do that tomorrow - its almost midnight where I am and I have just finished hooking up the cables to the amp and took it for a quick spin…probably needs some burning in or rather my ears need to adapt to the Naim - right out of the box, it sounds great. Not as awesome as the amp I heard during demo but that would have been a well run in unit. It will get there. The thump coming through the speakers upon powering on and off is something I am going to have to get used to. I didnt have that with my other amps but it seems that its a Naim thing since its even mentioned in the manual as something thats normal. Thank you for offering to take a look at the crimp.

1 Like

The plugs I have on my Naca5 - they look like the ones in your pic. I will take a pic and the crimp and post it tomorrow.