Speaker cable for under carpet round a fireplace

I wish I had thought of that when it was installed a few years ago.great idea

I have occasionally wondered if static generated by Nylon or Nylon/Wool mix carpets and rugs could have an effect on speaker cables, and, if such an effect exists, if it varies depending on whether the speaker cable runs on or underneath the carpet.

Part of my RH speaker cable (SL) is sandwiched between a rug and carpet, both Nylon/Wool mix I believe.

Maybe I should get out more.

You just need that pair of boots Naim gave us on that tour of the factory Nigelā€¦ā€¦ā€¦put them on the Xmas list.

1 Like

Next upgrade will be a 100% wool carpet in the lounge! :crazy_face:

1 Like

My Chord Odyssey cable bent quite well around corners, such that I could place it between gripper and underlay, with some tape over it. I think itā€™s now called Epic X, which doesnā€™t look as flexible

2 Likes

At first I misread the thread title, I thought it said speaker cable for under a pound. Iā€™ll get my coatā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

That used to be a thing. I remember buying some bell wire for speaker cables because Jimmy Hughes (I think) told me it was best.

It wasnā€™t.

Ahhhā€¦those were the days.

1 Like

Chord Odyssey is still around in the form of Odyssey X. Itā€™s a little stiff but possibly still OK. Any of the lesser Chord cables should be OK as they are thinner, and round so that they bend on any axis. Sarsen is really thin, and surprisingly good for the modest price.

My neighbour had bell wire and always argued that it makes no difference to the sound.
That is until I gave him some decent stuff I didnā€™t need. Say no more.
As I always say itā€™s like plumbing a narrow pipe canā€™t take a sudden surge or in the case of cables a loud passage of music causing increased current to drive the cones

Likewise :+1:, itā€™s particularly neat and tidy.

Naca 5 is an absolute nightmare as itā€™s so stiff but if you lay it flat it does look tidy. I spent hours putting mine into trunking around the skirting boards and now it looks very clean because you canā€™t see it! You should try knocking a small channel under the fireplace rather than going around the front. I had the same issue when I moved into my house. Knocked a little section out each side with a hammer and chisel and ran some trunking underneath the marble and fed the naca through. Works well and is much tidier. Itā€™s a pain in the ass but itā€™s worth the effort.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.