Speaker Damage Power Amp

Hello all,

I recently borrowed a Power Amp rated at 135watts. I use ProAc speakers rated at 150watts max.

I had the Hugo2 (whilst playing music) plugged into the Power Amp (no Pre) and set to full volume (line level) without noticing and then pushed the power button on the Power Amp and had an almightly horn sound.

Quickly hit the power button.

Could this of damage the speaker, or tweeter?
I could swear there is some grissle now but I might be imagining it. It was a bit of a shock.

Cheers

Sadly it very well could have caused some damage

What does it sound like with the volume at a sensible level?

Driving an amp to clipping is a good way of damaging speakers. Most common would be either one or more the drivers failing to produce sound, or distortion caused be the voice coil buckling under the heat and rubbing in the magnet gap. If you have a copy of REW software, it can show exactly is happening to the audio audio, which can help spot if the speaker is damaged. If just one channel sounds odd, swap the speakers between channels ( easiest swap speaker cables at the amp). If the odd sound swaps sides it is indeed due to a speaker (or speaker cable, but that is unlikely).

It sounds ok. But i have a feeling that the treble sounds grissly. And the bass less controlled. And things just not quite right.

Not sure what REW is but I’ll have a look. Diagnostic I presume?

Thanks

REW is a (free) computer program that analyses sound, but needs a measuring microphone costing around £100 (less secondhand) - if you don’t have such a mic already then probably not worth buying for that purpose - but worth it for its ability to help establish best speaker and listening positions, and room treatment.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.