Speaker maintenance with the Ribbon tweeter

Hello,

I want to know about the durability and maintenance of speakers with ribbon tweeters.
In this case I focus on ProAC Response D2R.

Does the tweeter ribbon need special care and if there is damage, for example no sound, can it really not be serviced?

I have a pair of ProAc D30RS speakers for some time now and have had no issues. Not sure why you are concerned about the ribbon tweeter. If there is a problem I would contact my dealer and sure it could be repaired/replaced if there was a problem.

Do you have a specific concern?

3 Likes

some friends say if there is damage, ribbon tweeter will be more difficult to repair than dome tweeter(paper/metal dome)

…perhaps I have just been lucky but have never had a problem with any of my speakers including tweeters that I can recall. A couple of problems with electronic components have occurred over the years and they were sorted out through the dealer.

1 Like

Geez I’ve never heard any issues either. No small children or pets but I just listen enthusiastically every evening

2 Likes

I’ve got a pair of D2rs and it’s not a thought that had ever crossed my mind any more than any other driver in a speaker. Not sure what special care would involve. They just work.

3 Likes

I’ve just got a pair of Neats with ribbon tweeters and wasn’t expecting any problems re maintenance. Like all speakers they’ll probably need a bit of dusting occasionally, and if there’s any little curious fingers just put the covers on.

I’m aiming for set and forget tbh.

2 Likes

My brother-in-law came over one day and had an app on his phone which played a tone which could be increased or lowered in pitch, with the idea that you played it through a system to find out the range of your hearing.

Well, he plugged it into my system and we whacked the volume up to see how high we could hear. The ribbon tweeters on my Neat Elite SEs promptly glowed red and then burnt out. Lol. A relatively inexpensive repair to get Bob to replace them for me, but lesson learned!

1 Like

after several days, I get ProAC Response D2R and feel happy with it
I think ribbon construction is sturdy and safely

4 Likes

Congratulations! The ProAc D2R speakers are fabulous…

3 Likes

indeed.
one of perfect speaker for Naim companion

1 Like

I play my ProAc K6 Sig’s at deafening loud levels. No problems so far.

2 Likes

I am on my third pair of Proacs, all with ribbon tweeters. Our original D40R demo needed a ribbon repair and we did it ourselves with the right tools, which the dealer sent us with the new part. I think they would have been available at the hardware store if needed. No problem at all.

2 Likes

Listening to MJ’s Thriller getting in the Halloween spirit at a very loud level hoping to scare the kiddies away. My ProAc’s are up to the task.

1 Like

No doubt. Mine, too!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.