Speaker options for 282/250DR

I had PMC Twenty Five.23 with 282/250DR and they were great. Worth an audition if you can.

5 Likes

good luck. When I bought my Dalis I also auditioned some Fyne speakers (cannot remember the model), they ran the Dalis a close second and cost significantly less.

1 Like

Nice list. I too own the Dali Mentor Menuet. Nice little speakers.

Just last year I was looking for a pair of high quality standmounts as well and after looking at all possible alternatives it’s down to the ATC SCM19, Dali Epicon 2 and Marten Duke 2. It is unfortunate I didn’t manage to listen to the Epicon 2 and SCM19 but am sure they would sound great.

1 Like

This has already been commented on by some other members who I agree with but I’ll add my input too. I’ve been running ATC SCM 19 speakers on a 250DR for several years now and never a problem. The amplifier drives them with ease.

2 Likes

I owned a 282 combined with a 300DR and they sounded very good with Dynaudio Evoke50. I have heard the Evoke 50 with a 250DR which gave a good result.

2 Likes

We run Sonus Faber Sonetto floorstanders from 272/250DR. Bought via local naim dealer when we only had a SuperUniti. We went to audition other brands at the price point but the SF beat them. Glad the dealer suggested we try them.

Barely get a mention on these forums, maybe others find them terrible but we love ours.

Heading to 282(maybe 252) with SC DR and NDX2 over next 12 months which likely means our current speakers could be outclassed. First thing we would do is try and audition something higher up the SF hierarchy before comparing to other brands.

2 Likes

Listened to the SF Nova Olympica II and the Sonetto VIII. The Olympica were very similar to the Sonetto, just ‘more’ of everything and very open.

Really nice speaker and on my shortlist

2 Likes

That’s interesting. There’s a fair price difference between the two so should probably expect more from the Nova. Once the black boxes are sorted we’ll investigate!

My Audio Physic Virgo 25 speakers are a very good match with my 282/250 DR/HC DR.
Audio Physics seem to be a great match with Naim in general. You can find more good feedback on this in the forum.

1 Like

It depends on your musical tastes, but I have a pair of Dyn S40s on my 282/250DR and they put a smile on my face every day. They have that boogie, foot tapping, quality. Being standmounts, they are fast, dynamic, but with bass weight that belies their size. They are a hoot, and well worth an audition.

2 Likes

Mike,
Did you come to a decision? I’m looking for speakers in a similar price range, though I only have a nac102/nap180 combination.

I’ll let you know tomorrow, I have a 2 hour demo booked in at my dealers tomorrow afternoon!

I’ve been running the same system for the last few weeks with a (used) pair of confidence 20’s. I t is a wonderful combination. My original plan was to get a pair of Heritage Specials, but the dealer had no idea when (or to some extent if) they would arrive. I was able to find a pair of confidence 20 for roughly 1/2 the new price so I jumped on them. Depending on room size, even the contour 20 might work better than the 30. Either one should work well. Also , Dynaudio just sent me the 2 plastic bags to fill the base with. Them and the crate (it was too large) were the only thing missing. For me, it is going to be a difficult project to use them, but at some point I will. Any way - happy hunting. OOPs. I see I already posted basically the same info . just ignore this L

2 Likes

confidence 20 does come in “blonde wood” which is what I have, A sort of yellowish striped wood - okay, white that has discoloured with age :slight_smile:

Update from today’s listening demo:

B&W 702s - ruled out, nice base but a tad on the bright side
Q Acoustics concept 500 - very nice, enjoyed the sound, maybe a bit too warm and muddied in the bass dept
Neat Acoustics Ekstra - nice sound, but lacks the bass vs the A acoustics
Neat Acoustics Orkestra - my current winner, need to reflect and think about whether to home demo or not

Still models out there to try

I’ve taken my preferred speaker to the next level and booked the Neat Orkestra’s for a week’s in home Demo. Looking forward to them arriving tomorrow evening along with 2 sets of demo speaker cable - Naim NAC A5 and Chord Shawline - The former being my preference, but the latter will be easier to install in my setup due to the number of corners I have…

3 Likes

Happy Saturday folks - my friendly Naim dealer has dropped off and installed the speakers and all looking fabulous! A hard weekend of serious listening now follows…

9 Likes

Have fun! I do still wonder how you will get proper imaging with that fireplace in between the speakers. In theory, this should not work. Let us know how you get on.

Since taking those photos, I’ve already moved them forward 6” so that they protrude well beyond the chimney breast which improved things significantly

Unfortunately with the limitations of the room there isn’t much more I can do

1 Like

I don’t know why but my imaginations just projected the Neat Iota Alpha in your room and it could work a treat! They are not deep and very small so even if you get them out they might be lower then your TV. I know that does not help you at all though :slight_smile:

1 Like