Speaker pop pop and stridency

You’ve said that multiple times, but I don’t understand why you think that. AFAICT nothing indicates it’s power related (or that Chords block does anything special).

3 Likes

Two outlets don’t work anymore on the powerblock.

Hi FR, I was reading another thread (optimal sq config for innuos zenith statement with nd555 and roon or not) which is now closed and saw your comment:

“I had no patience to wait several days, as I felt a bit less involved with all connection to PN. The direct connection between Melco and Nds, and Melco to PN, gives a more musical presentation to me, with better Prat.”

I was going to add, don’t forget if you start using a second port on the back of the Phoenix Net you haven’t used before then it could/might need some burn in.

Things changed some months later. I tried again both to PhoenixNet and this time it was better than Nds direct to Melco.

1 Like

I tested the NC 250 at my dealer place. It’s fine. It gives no noises into their speakers.
I arranged differently my cables, have insured they don’t touch themselves, specially the power and burndys. There’s a slight improvement. But if my ear is at around 5m, I can hear little pop pops and some tiny stridencies.
I will take my time now to take a decision, if I keep or not the 250.

Did you try it at their place with your EAR pre-amp? I’m wondering whether there’s some weird RF pickup issue.

1 Like

No, I didn’t tried that. Today I even tried another tubes . But the same.
If there are RF , are there solutions?

I wrote 5 m but it’s 5 CM. I hear nothing from my listening place, only very close to the speaker, if no music.

Maybe. Best tackled at source but some experimentation can minimise the symptoms. Your dealer may well have experience here.

It may also be an issue with the pre-amp?

Had not that 2 weeks ago with the 250 dr.

Yes, but the 250DR uses a single ended input whereas the NC250 has a balanced one. I’m not an engineer so couldn’t say whether that might make a significant difference, but must be worth consideration. .

1 Like

Could be a compatibility issue here which is resulting in some instability at either the preamp output or power amp input when using the balanced connections. Changing to single ended connections is worth a try before ditching the new power amp.

See from the beginning…already tried.

My dealer will give me to try a grounding wall adapter outlet and a grounding cable between the pre and power amp.

Maybe try moving pre amp further away from new Naim amp.

Yes, and it appears there wasn’t noise when using the unbalanced Rega lead, but the quality wasn’t as good. So why not simply try another unbalanced lead of similar quality to the balanced leads you like the sound quality of.

Already shared too….a second one XLR to RCA gave a loud noise.

My dealer accepted to order an Ear 534. It will match my Ear 912. I have very often thought on buying an Ear amp. I doubt I will be disappointed.
I can’t live with that pop pop stridency situation, even if I don’t hear it when music is on.
For now I will enjoy the NC 250 during Christmas holidays.

11 Likes

Very nice :+1: look forward to hearing your thoughts on it, should be a great match as you say.

1 Like

Sound like tube noise to me. Had many strange noise issues with different set of tubes. Eventually gave up.