Speaker pop pop and stridency

I changed the tubes and still the same…With the 250 dr I had not that problem, 2 weeks ago.

Just seeing this thread, it’s funny how things sometimes coincide during changes - just in case if it helps, about a year ago I had noise from one of the speakers which drove me nuts. I thought of cables and amps etc. only to find out that the 5V external power supply powering my EE switch had an issue and generated noise propagating through to one channel. So worth checking around, even near the hifi rig?

By the way, prompted by your story with your dealer p/x you the Chord Signature XLRs I decided to try them and comparing to the Naim one that came in the box and an AudioQuest, the Chord is a very nice improvement on both, decided to keep it. Having said that, the Naim one looks cheapish but sounds decent.

With the NSC222 and the NC250 I can hear a very quiet hiss from both speakers when very close (a few cm), with all XLR cables. The same or very similar when I tried the 222 with the Nait 50 using RCA to DIN as well, or with RCA to RCA previously. The noise you are hearing appears to be louder though?

1 Like

On my Eros Titan powerblock, there is no SMPS, only pre, power,555 dr, P10 ps, PhoenixNet and Melco.
The noise is a slight pop pop, with sometimes some radio like frequencies. Only on one speaker, or the other if I invert the cables.
I can hear it if my ear is at around 5 cm max.

Some days I can hear the radio like frequencies from my sofa. Even if not loud, it bothers me. With the 250 dr it was quite dead quiet.

that’s exactly what reminded my of my case, quite similar and it turned out some capacitors were busted. But of course yours could be a completely different reason, just similar effect

Which capacitors? Those of the 5v ps?

yes

1 Like

@garcon and @frenchrooster very glad I could bring you two together on this problem you share.

1 Like

Thanks Yorkshireman. Happy Christmas!

1 Like

And to you FR :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Noisy tube I suspect from the ear 912 on one channel

Try to tube roll or contact ear.

1 Like

Pretty sure FR did replace the tubes in the pre-amp

@frenchrooster Do you think 50wpc is going to be enough to adequately drive your Apertura Altra?I I realize that Tube watts are different than Solid State watts. I suspect it’s going sound wonderfull!

Merry Christmas

Absolutely enough, 50W tube power is powerful, and my speakers are easy to drive.
And you are right, I already tried different tubes. If only people could read the thread from the beginning….

3 Likes

I’ve had tube amps, and tube watts are different!

1 Like

Just like 1kg iron weighs more than 1kg cotton.

1 Like

I think more like 1kg of iron is easier to carry than 1kg of cotton?

I once heard some big Focal speakers, at the level of Sopra 3, even bigger I think. They were driven by Lamm tubes monos, at 18 W, effortlessly.

Do you use some isolation devices under your Minimax?
A UK dealer recommends me Isoacoustics.

Nope. Mimas is a hybrid, only has two tubes in the preamp section

1 Like

@frenchrooster

Please let us know how you get on with this after the Christmas holidays.

Looking forward to hearing about the successful resolution of the issue.

DG…

2 Likes

Merry Christmas to you. Hope, that the ear amp will bring both - 1. no pops and 2. even a better sound than 250NC.

1 Like