Speaker pop pop and stridency

The disease, nothing more. It’s called Upgraditis syndrome. One upgrade at breakfast or lunch, each year at minimum, as my Doctor prescribed.

8 Likes

I feel you😅

1 Like

Btw … just a quick hint I forgot to mention … you can connect a second speaker wire to the plugs on your speakers. The one that is popping and this can sometimes give enough"ground" to fix the issue. I do this by standard. Just connect a crappy speaker cable to one of the connections on each speaker. it allows for “drainage drain” although I am not gonna argue on that point if anyone is gonna try. I have done this with some old speakers and it has improved the sound no end to like they were new!

thanks for the advice. but if i connect a second wire on my speakers, where i connect this wire then? between the speakers and what?

Stick the Banana :banana: plugs into your ears :rofl: Sorry, I couldnt help the little joke.

When you asked about where to connect the other end of the speaker wire an image of this popped into my head.

Just for insurances purposes, don’t stick Banana :banana: plugs into your ears…

1 Like

i have another idea but i won’t write it :joy:

5 Likes

you just leave it lying to the floor. Or connect it to a metal radiator i you wish but it is not necessary. You are just giving the current somewhere to flow off if you like. So just take a simple crappy speaker cable, connect it to the black, or red, of the speaker and let it drop down to the floor. You can even coil it up but then you create a new area of effect so better just to have it drop down to the floor behind the speaker away from any power cables. Only one cable is needed per speaker or just do it with the speaker buzzing. And I would not connect it to a banana if I were you :slight_smile: Let me know how it goes. Normally best to have a piece of low cost speak cable 2 meters or longer. Do not sue silver or multi gauge cable it is too conductive.

i will try but don’t have another speaker cable at the moment…

99% of the time it works, reduces or completely eliminates the noise, but … again it is designing around the problem. It means your cables are too close, o r the area of effect is causing issues, etc … Normally it is some cable broken inside or running too close to many power cables. When building my own speakers I buy expensive drivers, usually a pair per side, with no crossover, so straight through single driver types. And the equipment we use is very transparent and thus raises the noise floor quite a bit. So I always do this trick as it cleans the power of, and thus the sound transparency rather nicely most of the time. Sorry I forgot to mention it before.

1 Like

You can use you right speaker cable. Just disconnect it and connect it to the speaker giving you problems just to try if you like as you had problems with only one side.

Just remember , I have only 2 outputs on the speaker, so can’t connect another cable.

Al speakers have two outputs, with some 4 point exceptions, just connect the hanging speaker wire to one of the connectors on the back, the ones you use to connect to your analogue outputs on your amp. Remember just one cable and let it hang touching the floor. Sometimes connecting it to red will be better than black and sometimes vice versa. Regardless the noise floor drops dramatically. You can even play with the cable gauges to see the changes in music quality.

IMG_1480

2 Likes

Maybe I am tired but honestly I don’t see what I can do really. I can’t connect another cable, there’s no other connectors.

I managed to do what @anon52558555 advised me.
IMG_2656

6 Likes

I think he advising to slightly unscrew the speaker as if using spades, fit the drain wire there and tighten up.

Then connect your speaker cables as normal.

Can’t hurt to try, no improvement, nothing lost

DG…

1 Like

just connect a 3rd cable to one of the connectors you have three … :slight_smile: you have two cables connected to you analogue amp / integrated. So one connector would have 2 cables, one to the amp and one hanging free, and the third would be connect between your amp and speaker. :slight_smile: I took a photo to explain better. But I feel like I am being trolled :slight_smile: So I am out.

3 Likes

Is this similar in principle to Tannoy and their 5th speaker terminal? Something to do with grounding the driver chassis themselves. Both myself and my father have Tannoys with this feature but in the instructions Tannoy recommend returning each ‘ground’ wire back to the amplifier. Is this worth trying?

In my system I do have subwoofers connected at high level at each speaker anyway so would this have a similar effect?

I can’t unscrew anything in my case .

Thanks guys for your advices, but I think the thread can be closed now, as I am waiting another amp , the Ear 534.

2 Likes