Speaker Refurbishment

This comment made me laugh; story to follow…
first though- just want to acknowledge that finding a great repairer is so worthwhile.
Once upon a time we went out of our way to find a great mechanic for our cars (nowadays log book servicing and ‘cars being disposable’ changes THAT market), but for our ‘hifi’; well that stuff can be priceless and ages well (every year it seems to cost more whilst sounding ‘less’, so vintage becomes ‘a thing’)- make sure you lock down a great, ideally somewhat local, repairer.- and expect 6 months plus wait times :wink:

Now, regarding speakers ‘glued’ to stands(!);
As a teenager I had played with a few coupling methods and bought spikes and hyper expensive cabinetry and platforms for equipment etc
Having found a way to incorporate surround sound with my two channel system, I wasn’t able to devote as much cash as I would have liked (student) to hifi.
For some rear speakers, some Pioneer 3 ways, that were on some stands that had ‘budget spikes’ (read: “nails”), I had been chatting with an electrical engineer who shared a lot of knowledge with me regarding speakers /‘soundwave propagation’.
I knew I had to make them ‘more stable’ (bass tightness/imaging prowess etc),… so, using one of the ‘ten tricks for less than $100’ (for hifi systems) that seemed to be common knowledge in the nineties when two channel audio and ‘hifi’ were still considerations… I used A LOT of bluetack to go between the base of the speaker and the top of the stands.
For years those speakers were only moved small distances, and, as became habit, I moved the speakers still attached to the stands.
Then one day I had to move across town and the speakers NEEDED to travel in the car.
There was NO SEPERATING them. (remember that the foot of the stands had actual NAILS jutting out the bottom. (The OH&S officer in me weeps at much of my stupidity regarding these speakers!)
They would simply “69” with each other in the back of my 79’ Toyota Corona Liftback.
Generally only moving those speakers and some doonas’ pillows and ‘soft lightweight stuff’ in the load when they moved.
( I actually moved them for over a decade doing this process)…
Then one day, having the car parked in the sun for awhile whilst I unloaded… (and ‘stopped for lunch’)… they came unstuck.
I was a very happy camper. Finally I had the freedom to put them whereever I wanted.
I put them back on those stands and let that bluetack harden again.
They sounded pretty decent, and for the cost outlay they owed me, I couldn’t complain. (the stands helped them get to appropriate height, and the bluetack really did help them ‘be stable’ :wink: )

but yes… that is the one time I have owned speakers ‘glued’ to stands. (wouldn’t have been so much of an issue if like my ‘mains’ they were using removable (expensive) spikes etc).
The amount of times those ruddy nails ‘got me’ due to the awkwardness of moving stand and speaker together; yep!

takeaway: bluetack under speakers can really ‘couple them’ to the surface below.
cheers

3 Likes

And of course Falcon make the superb LS3/5As, on which the Kans were based.

I am listening to my Falcon LS3/5As as I type this. They pack one hell of a punch for such a tiny loudspeaker.

1 Like

What a fantastically good looking system you have there.

Your amps must be among the first ever made by Naim, possibly even on Julian Vereker’s kitchen table!

1 Like

Yeah, maybe, hadn’t considered that before. Sun damage was one suggestion. They certainly sounded great from a Hi-Fi perspective after the service though, so don’t know.

Enjoyed reading that - thanks whitedragem. Maybe I should try it! :slight_smile:

Thanks Graham!!
Even if I wanted to sell them, I just couldn’t cos I’d really struggle to replace them again if I had a change of heart. Got their original boxes and documents too which is nice. That’s why I paid extra for another Naim service (instead of Class A), cos one day my girls will get them and I figured they’ll be worth more with a full Naim service history.

Ah, but if you have more than one daughter, how do you decide who gets what?

Good point although I suspect they will just be sold. I suppose its a bit like claasic cars where you’re really just a temporary custodian. Scary thought in a way.

1 Like

There’s something to be said for old gear… Even if it were truly not up to snuff, the nostalgia factor would probably overcome any deficiencies!

About 4 years ago I had my MK1 Kans serviced. A tweeter had gone so decided to bite the bullet and send them off to Wilmslow Audio for a refresh.
They supplied and fitted new Scanspeak tweeters D2008/85112 I think the ferrofluid version, new caps in the crossovers and new cloth over the grills and oiled the cabinets with fresh teak oil. The B110s were deemed to be in good condition.
It cost £260 if memory serves me right.
They took around 100 hours to run in and I couldn’t be happier with the sound. Open, fast, dynamic, beautifully detailed top end.
I can thoroughly recommend getting Kans serviced if they have developed a fault.
I tried some modern bookshelf speakers as a possible replacement but they just sounded shut in and polite by comparison. Kans are a hard act to follow.

3 Likes

Glad it went well with Wilmslow, Paul. I did consider them at the start but for whatever reason went with Anapeach.

Many of the B110s seem to be holding up very well mechanically and musically.

Kans are still special as you say.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.