Speaker Refurbishment

Just had my second pair of Kan 1s back from Anapeach Loudspeaker Restoration. The first pair sounded very impressive but didn’t musically work for me. They had had a lot of work though with new Hiquphon tweeters, B110 surrounds (the originals were both split), and Solen caps. Andrew had also fitted new wiring and sockets. He suspects my issue was with the replacement surrounds but after hundreds of hours playing I decided to sell them on.

This time we went for a minimalist approach with my best pair (also early mk 1) which sounded very ‘shut-in’. I bought them from the Kan 1 designer a couple of years ago and, whilst ageing and flawed, I felt they had good potential. Andrew confirmed that one of the tweeters was low on output so swapped that for a good one I’d already shipped him. They were still measuring low at the top end, so I gave the go ahead to replace the caps - this time matched Alcaps (also 50v) instead of Solens. The resister in each crossover measured almost the correct value so that remained. Once back together they were re-measured and all good.

Been listening to them this evening and they sound really good - well balanced and more or less as musically coherent as before. And they should also improve slightly as the new caps run in. Very pleased and I recommend Andrew to anyone with ageing speakers that need some love. He was a pleasure to deal with once again and his methodical approach and constant checks with me at each stage made the whole process very straight forward.

7 Likes

It’s great to know such expertise exists.

Congrats and happy listening

2 Likes

I also have some early Kans and would like to ask what these restorations services cost?

1 Like

They’ll get better the more you use them. My Keilidhs started to,blow my mind after about 100hrs. I did the crossovers and bass/mid drivers too and it was all so worthwhile. Easy to do yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron and have a bit of courage. :blush:

2 Likes

Good to keep the Kans going !
A little dissapointing that they mounted rubber surrounds ,that didn’t made them sound right,
it’s one thing to measure and another to have the musical ear.

1 Like

Another shout out for Anapeach. Andrew rebuilt my 1974-ish B&W DM6s (the pregnant penguins) last year - which are now being used by my son. Every part of the build was photographed and checked with us before being confirmed. Andrew will do as much, or as little, as you like to your speakers. The B&Ws came back utterly transformed. Highly recommended - but he’s usually booked up six months in advance.

3 Likes

Probably looking at around £200. Mine were a bit more but I wanted LS3/5A foam tweeter surrounds cos the existing DIY ones were falling apart. As @CliffH just said, each step is photographed and each drive unit individually measured so you’ll get a copy of those too, plus measurements of the speakers as a unit. I get the impression that Kans are quite labour intensive once you start needing access to the crossover which is glued to the enclosure. Everything seems to be glued down on the Kan - I’m surprised they didn’t come glued to a pair of stands :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Paul - that’s useful to know - I couldn’t remember and was gonna ask.

Yeah, I wonder if in those situations it might be worth looking at new Falcon units although I’ve not tried them myself. If I had more funds then I’d be tempted to get an early pair serviced and fitted with replacement tweeters and woofers. Would be interesting.

1 Like

Thanks ratrat!

Yes, I wonder what impact a light service could make to some early IBLs/SBLs crossovers. Have to say that my Mk 1.5 SBLs didn’t sound like they needed anything doing so perhaps they’re holding up better than Kan 1s. Kan 2s still seem to be holding up well too, or at least the pairs I’ve had in recent years.

2 Likes

Sure.
And do share a picture, when you get a chance
Love your photos - LP12 - Nait - Kans - are such a treat.
Done right, you wouldn’t wish for anything else. :wink:

2 Likes

I heard good results just repairing the original rubber surrounds with silicone, often there a minor damage to the rubber.

1 Like

After 20hrs you will hear a noticeable refinement but after 100 they rock.

1 Like

You can get new B110 drivers from Falcon Acoustics.

3 Likes

Yes,I had a pair but they didn´t sound as musical as the original ones.

1 Like

That’s interesting - thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes

Was that comparing the replacement ones before or after running them in?

After running them in for about 4 months.

How about a quick video instead, complete with other 70s components including LP12/Ittok and bolt down 12/160…

3 Likes

KEF B110s (SP1003) have pretty indestructible butyl surrounds. They must have been severely abused before you got them, perhaps explaining your dissatisfaction?

1 Like