Speaker spike sharpness

Does anyone periodically (or ever) resharpen speaker spikes ?

Mine are several years old and quite blunt so I think I will run a file over them anyway and see if I hear a difference. I just wonder if anyone actually carried out such maintenance and if you see it as essential, marginal or a waste of time?

Not sharpened but I have replaced mine as they are of a standard type / design. Additionally you might make them worse if you file them - and that’s my point!

2 Likes

If all the spikes are firmly embedded into whatever the floor surface is, I don’t see what a sharper spike can improve on.
If they are not embedded & the speaker is wobbly then that’s another problem (hence why my own speakers have 3 spikes)
If the spikes are on a hard surface, spikes are not ideal, better to change them for one of the adjustable pad types.

On my carpeted chip board suspended floor, I screwed small pozidrive screws into the chip board through the the carpet and levelled them fore and aft first using a cardboard template of the spike spacing for alignment. The spikes then sit in the screw heads and once adjusted level the speaker/stands are very stable and isolated/decoupled from the floor. A bit fiddly to set up but works fine.
Not really suitable for laminated hard flooring etc unless Skeets or similar are used.

V_R

1 Like

It was just a general enquiry so I didn’t add specifics but I guess I should have clarified that in my case I am referring to speaker stand spikes (Neat MFS on dedicated stands) rather than speaker spikes.

I understood the purpose of spikes was to decouple rather than couple/embed into a floor but this conversation prompted some research and I realise now there are requirements for both decoupling and coupling, depending on the specific application/location of spikes. Referring to the Neat website I see now that spikes are supplied to couple the stands to the floor so evidently my thinking has been flawed for years.

I have tiled floors and fortunately my spikes already sit in Chord Silent Mounts, which are designed to improve coupling (though I thought they did the opposite!)

As soon as my Isoacoustics carpet spikes arrive, I’ll be trying them under my stands.
And may try the same as my Fraim - Chips fit in Gaia 2 spikes well:

And, yes to the eagle-eyed - I need to centre them a bit better!

I use 0,25 Euro coins under the spikes of all my equipment (two Tripod 2 tyer stands, Epos ES14 speakers, turntable stand). Low budget solution, probably not the best, but it works for me.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.