272 / 555dr / 300

I thought all ATC passives came with linking bars. Could be wrong — mine are active, but contacting ATC is a good idea. However, I’d also ask be talking to my dealer. Perhaps they can pop some basic jumpers in the post to get you up and running.

Roger

1 Like

My scm 40 passive came with them already attached, IMO the dealer should have checked this unless you bought direct from atc?

I’m pretty sure SCM19’s would work fine close to the wall in that size room as well, if it’s not too late to compare …

Just christened them with Radiohead and In Rainbows.

Just wow!

A month or so ago I rescued my old hi fi from the garage and that initiative has turned into something truly amazing.

I’ve been going through one of the most truly awful things that life can throw at us, but being able to listen to great music in all its beauty has been a great help.

I really appreciate all the advice on this forum, it’s a great resource. I think I’ve found my end game.

For now!

5 Likes

Just bought a perfect condition p/l 2019 555DR from a dealer with 12 months warranty and 2 x burndies and Powerline for a price I couldn’t refuse. Am I right in thinking the burndies don’t come as standard?

What was that I said about end game :grimacing: :smile:

1 Like

You may also want to take a look at this thread: (Edit: Too late)

1 Like

Yes bought ATC SCM11 speakers. Sorry bumped an old thread.

Considering getting my 300 DR’d next…

1 Like

You seem happy with the choice, enjoy!

PL included and Burndy not for 555PSDR.

1 Like

Wasn’t really looking for a 555 but it was a great deal (if I think about what I’ve ‘saved’ rather than what I’ve spent) :laughing:

Well all go down the road of “I wasn’t supposed to, but then out of nowhere…” :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to compare with the XPS DR. If I don’t think the improvement is worthwhile I have the option to return the 555. I thought the XPS made a big difference in itself.

1 Like

To my ears XPSDR is a bigger change to a naked 272 than XPSDR to 555PSDR. This means I don’t agree with some of the member here FWIW.

1 Like

I see you have XPSDR and 555DR in your profile. Which one is powering the 272?

I agree the XPS makes a big difference. I went fairly quickly from:

90’s Technics CD + amp > 272 + Technics amp > 272 + 150X > XPSDR + 272 + 150X > XPSDR + 272 + NAP300

To my ears the XPS addition had the biggest “wow” factor, and this includes the most recent change of swapping the MA BR2 speakers for APC SCM11. All of the changes have had a significant impact but the 300 did take something away over the 150X. The system became more composed and detailed, but it lost a little excitement and drive. I’m hoping the 555 will inject some of that back.

I’m sure I’d miss the 300 if I swapped it back for the 150X, particularly the detail, but the 150X was great fun.

XPSDR did but is now replaced with 555PSDR.

To my ears 555PSDR is to XPSDR what 300DR is to 250DR. I don’t hear more excitement and drive from the 555PSDR. It’s more on the path going from 250DR to 300DR IMO. It seems 252 is the same path compared to 282 so I assume the design philosophy at Naim is the higher you go the more composed, relaxed and natural the sound is and more demanding so to say by the user just like an expansive wine. If you think you get more and more of what you have on the cheaper Naim equipment by climbing the ladder then you will get disappointed.

That makes a lot of sense and fits with my experience. I’m sure if I swapped the 150X back for a few days I’d soon want the 300 back. I used to suffer listening fatigue at times with the 150X but not so on the 300. A favourite album is less enjoyable on the 300, but that’s the transparency showing up the poor quality production/recording which wasn’t evident before. I guess like with anything in life there’s always a trade off. I’ve read the 500 series sources and amps have the best of both worlds, but out of reach for me right now.

My personal favourite speakers with Naim, at sensible prices, are Dynaudio and Kudos.
However, I found the cables also made a big contribution to the sound.
I ended up using Witch Hat Phantoms.

2 Likes

Just fired up the 555. It’s fantastic :grin:

Bigger upgrade than bare to XPSDR to my ears? Possibly, possibly not, tough call. Both great upgrades but the 555 takes things to another level again. The laid back presentation I’ve had since adding the 300 has been replaced by something rather more forward and involving. The bass is making my spine tingle, that’s the biggest improvement of all. OK I’ve only listened to a few tracks, but it’s a keeper.

1 Like

Yes the bass is biggest difference from XPSDR together with sounding more “analogue” and real. It’s much more well defined/tight. The 555 grows in my setup hour by hour just like the 300DR did. Love it.

2 Likes

Yeah 100% having listened for a few hours that nagging digital feeling to the sound is largely supressed and it does sound more real.

Now I wonder what DR’ing the 300 would add…