Speakers for 72/140

Thanks for all your input, lots of food for thought.
I’ve gone with an old pair of B&W N805’s for now, a bit behind the curve but at least they don’t give me tinnitus.
Focal, Dynaudio and possibly LS3/5A on the wish list (are the latter really worth the dosh for the sound, being 70’s tech and all?).

I ran a 72/140 pairing with Kudos C2s and that worked very well (until I went 52/SC/135). As such, I’d consider trying our their bookshelf speakers as well.

I’m running a Uniti Atom with a nap140 and Proac tablette 10, really nice sounding with the 140, in fact it’s a peach of a system.

“I ran a 72/140 pairing with Kudos C2s and that worked very well (until I went 52/SC/135). As such, I’d consider trying our their bookshelf speakers as well.”

I had a pair of C1’s for quite a while in fact, running with a variety of Naim and valve gear. In the end I found them a bit lacking in gusto, a little polite perhaps. Now you come to mention it they probably would pair quite well, with the 72/140 adding some attack to the sound.

Mathew

Yes well worth it, but I was fortunate to get them second-hand in the 1080’s for £150 (paid over several months when I would drive over to the hifi shop - gone now - and pay an installment cash, very informal, and they never really knew when I was coming over. I got a camera the same way, several visits to the dealer with cash in my grubby hands…I must have an honest face, would never happen these days), so I could not say how the value works now that the LS3/5a seem to have a cult status in Japan, and prices soared to silly money, but it is the buyers market at work.

I guess the newer LS3/5a are better value as they will be in BBC spec and a second hand purchase may not have honest provenance and have been messed about. Of course that is true with any second hand purchase. The new ones sound the same as the 70’s tech as you put it, but really you are getting the monitor speaker the BBC designed to hear the sound that went on air.

Here is one of them sitting on Partington stands that I filled with shot sweepings from the local gun shop and sand, shot at the bottom and sand above. ( I spent hours picking out the shot pellets leaving the gunpowder grains as I did not want anything unfortunate to happen!).

Plenty of information of the whys and wherefores BBC speakers on the internet.

1 Like

ProAc Tab 10s are awesome with 72/140 or 72/hicap/140

Great synergy

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.