Speakers for a 500/552/NDS system

What issues did you get with 606? Smallish room? ATC doesn’t from what I read and hear dig as deep as other same sized speakers.

Point here is speakers that work in room A don’t always work in room B……

My room is 5m x 3.5m - I tried kudos 505 and 606 (many others too!) in this room and even tried a different room - they were very underwhelming in both rooms. Given their cost and the fact that others rave about them I was surprised - my dealer agreed they didn’t work in my room so not just me.

Taking a punt on used speakers comes with risk hence my counsel on a good dealer.

Gary

4 Likes

You really should listen to the Spendor D9. They need to be well out of room boundaries though. At least in my room which is about 20 sqm.

1 Like

I’ve just remembered that probably the biggest factor in me opting for the 606 was that they work best close to a back wall, around 20-30cm.

Having to pull speakers out into the room, was never going to work for me. If it did then I’d have considered other brands.

I use Kudos 707 with 500/552 and they are a brilliant combination. Room size is 7m x 5m.
If you can afford it the Kudos 808 are superb.
I’d also recommend listening to the Dynaudio range.

1 Like

Just a reminder about KEF - I guess the other mainstream manufacturer offering concentric drivers in addition to Tannoy and Fyne.

Though I think most of their reference speakers are on the large side?

Boenicke might also be worth a look. I think they make smaller, but v. high quality speakers, with some interesting driver configurations. I don’t think they do a concentric driver model, but they do favour low order crossovers and run a few drivers wide/full range. If the “point source” design is something you’re keen on. Nice thread here on the lovely W5. IIRC @Kryptos said the different models sounded very different - the (small) floorstanders that might be better suited to 500 level kit had a different character to the W5?

Boenicke also have presence in Sweden

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve had my eyes on KEF Reference 1 Meta and heard great things about them :slight_smile: Also have QLN on my list of options. A friend of mine use Nova + Boenicke W8 and enjoy this combination a lot.

1 Like

I only listened to W5 en W8. Of the two I preferred the sound profile of the W5, with the W8 being more dark and bass heavy.

I cannot comment in the W11 or W13, which are apparently also incredible. Both of which will probably be more at a level of the 500.

And they just released the W22 which is an insane set of speakers. But as my dealers commented after hearing them in Munich: “Our demo room in the store is probably too small to do these speakers justice”. :rofl:

2 Likes

W22 is special :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Active though, you gonna trade in your NAP500 already!?

[edit: just the bass maybe, you can keep your NAP for HF duties :wink: ]

1 Like

ATC SCM 50s. Ex dem, or used might be within budget. ATC’s founder Billy Woodman was a jazz pianist of some ability.

Roger

Apparently not fully active. Still use amp for the midrange up but the woofers are active. Dealer was talking about the wiring job to make it work.

[Edit: Only saw your edit after I posted already :laughing:]

1 Like

Oh and if you buy them they are personally setup by Sven Boenicke himself.

1 Like

That’s kind! I wonder why they say “price is not official” though? :smile:

Maybe it depends on Sven’s plane ticket? :joy:

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

Side mounted Woofer ,not so good in a small room…

2 Likes

If there is one place the W22 was not designed for it is a small room.

I’m sure they fit :wink:

1 Like

What on earth are those?:flushed: