Speakers for the big symphonies

Hi all, just wondering which speakers forum members find work best for reproducing “big” symphonic works such as Beethoven’s 9th, Mahler 2nd or Wagner opera’s and are able to emulate both the clarity and sound stage of the concert hall. I find that many speakers struggle with the fortissimo’s and the real low basses and that recordings often tend to sound muddled and tiresome. As to the electronics feeding them, think NC 300 series level. Room dimensions appr 4m by 6m with high ceiling and speakers firing across the width of the room.

1 Like

I have often wondered exactly the same , even though I don’t play much classical - partly because hifi to me struggles with the big orchestra sound.

I never considered Naim that appropriate for classical orchestra - so often surprised to see classical fans choose Naim. I thought they would go more for the "round earth " brands that did depth, air and space.

I have a Naim friend that only listens to classical and he uses Martin Logan speakers.

4 Likes

I often play large symphonic works along with jazz bands.
Manage very well with Ovator S400 - often added a sub, either powered by 282/250/HC or Rega Aethos.
Source is not streaming but Saturn CD and a variety of turntables.

2 Likes

Stacked QUAD ESL57s make a pretty good job of it.
IMG_0018

31 Likes

When most major orchestras, opera house and recording studios use ATC active speakers to edit their recordings, you could consider giving them a try.
Most of my listening is classical, from chamber to large orchestra and my ATC50 Actives do a pritty good job in my opinion.
Paul.

4 Likes

Interested to hear if you have any thoughts about magneplanar speakers Graham

Isn’t it more simple to go to concerts? Beethoven, Mahler and Wagner composed music to be heard in a concert hall or theater, not in a living room.
Be happy to reproduce more or less faithfully some small jazz combos, chamber music, acoustic pop, songwriting. There is no reason whatsoever why one should have concert hall levels and clarity at home - this at least is my opinion.
Every time I’ve heard symphonic music at some audio show I’ve always thought it was dreadful, horrible sounding and stupidly pretentious.

Now please audiophile smart suggestions, be my guests.

3 Likes

I actually think the quality of reproduction is strongly dependent on the room. It’s the reflections which kill the transparency on higher volumes.

I remember when I had my Ovators in my too small study room that they worked up to a certain volume OK but once pushed louder, odd echos started to sound in the room. On lower volumes this wasn’t an issue but on lower volumes the dynamics were not that exciting.

Like Per, I’m very happy with my Ovators but I’m sure there is better available for classical music. I’m happy with what I have since the Ovators are also solidly build and the survive in my living with young and teenage kids.

One thing I’d like to hear are DBLs! If there is someone in the Netherlands having them please please invite me for a session I promise to bring the wine!

4 Likes

Of course, poor old Beethoven had to imagine - in the later part of his life, at least - what his music sounded like!

1 Like

I’ve never heard Magneplanar speakers.

I seem to recall that they have some electrostatic and some dynamic sections, but I may be wrong!

Do you have particular brands in mind?

Concerts are obviously great if one can get hold of the tickets and work obligations are not getting in the way of actually going. The great thing about music reproduction is that those mundane impediments do not apply.

1 Like

Could I tag along then perhaps?

1 Like

Hi

I haven’t heard them myself other than McIntosh but I have seen classical music enthusiasts use Kondo, Balanced Audio Technologies, Audionote, VAC, etc. There’s quite a few on the dCS forum with highend systems that mainly appear to listen to classical music.

Maybe others with more listening experience can speak up.

In my journey to find speakers that could do both solo guitar and opera in our living room, I’m currently running a pair of Wilson SabrinaX. They improve on my previous Marten Getz II (which lacked the scale for large work) and B&W 802D’s. I’ve used 30wpc Accuphase amplification for all these.

3 Likes

I listen to the big classical orchestras and use Audiovector R3 Arrete Raw .They are pretty fine for classic as they are,but the gamechancher is my 2 pcs Rel T9x subs.Big soundstage and a major upgrade.

3 Likes

Great speakers Audiovector, I fancy a pair myself . Do the subwoofers help with the soundstage, imaging and air and space ?

2 Likes

Very big upgrade in every aspect, and not that expensive to what Im use to ,Naimvise…Rel is a very fine product and the Loudspeaker karakteristic do not chance.

1 Like

You bring the cheese! The issue is … who has DBLs in the Netherlands :slight_smile: I could only show SBLs or IBLs (and Ovators)

1 Like

I bought B&W 802d3’s after listening to Vaughan Williams 5th symphony on them. I was very familiar with this VW symphony but I had never heard the level of scale, weight and dynamics that these speakers brought.

4 Likes