Speakers or boxes

Floor standers…

I doubt he’ll (or she’ll) see (or hear) much of an improvement but, if he fancies them and can home audition, why not :slight_smile:

The Orkestra’s look to be the new version of the old floor standing Momentum & similarly have isobaric bass units, so will probably be a similar drive load.
A NAP200 would not be my choice for a power amp with both, a 250 at least, but if the 200 has up to date satisfied the Momentum owner … his choice

Thanks for your advice guys…

I’ll let him know…

Hope he does boxes :joy:

I don’t know the specific speakers (and tgere appears to be more than one model called “Momentum”), however in my view and experience it is highly beneficial to get speakers that suit the individual’s preference for sound character. All speakers sound different, with much greater effect on character than any other component. And sadly for anyone who likes bass to go deep, getting speakers that do that well inherently tends to cost a lot more than cutting it off (and can place greater demands on the listening room).

But it is very easy: make whatever suggestion you think might be better, or anything suggested by the forum, but say he really must go and listen for himself: compare your suggestions with his own thought (hearing the speakers with the amp he has).

If I had £5.5K to spend on speakers I’d be looking at secondhand or ex-dem to maximise buying power. - which if £5.5K new value is something that he really wants and finds suits, then gives money towards upgrading something else…

Hi guys, I am the friend that Andy is referring to in this post. After speaking to Andy for awhile re my dilemma he mentioned he would put a post on to get the forum’s thoughts on my quandary. I have been flat out at work and wasn’t in the position to do so at the time.

However, Andy has made a typo, the speakers in question are the original Neat Motive 1’s, NOT the Momentum’s. Agreed that Momentum to Orkestra would not the right upgrade path. However I have tried a Nac282 with extra Hicap on my current system and amazingly the difference was only subtle which led me to thinking that my speakers are the current weak link in my hifi chain. About 6 years ago I heard a pair of PMC 24’s on my current system and the difference was huge, bigger sound stage, more clarity etc, etc.

I have emailed Neat who assure me that the Orkestra’s are easy to drive and that my Nap200 is more than a capable amp. I am now awaiting a pair to demo.

Interested in hearing people’s thoughts on this but a already mentioned by others, the ears will decide!

4 Likes

Ah, that does rather change things. If your Dac is the Naim nDac, I do wonder whether getting a used XPSDR and a pair of Ekstras might be a better way forward. That would also set you up to move to an NDX2 should you want the improved functionality.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have a Naim NDac. I have thought about that option however I only want to upgrade my speakers once in the foreseeable. I am hoping in the next 5-10 years or so to gradually upgrade to nac282, nap250, ndx 2 (or latest version then) and then add an xps. I don’t want to have to upgrade my speakers again….

I think you’ll be just fine with the Neats and your 202/200. More important I think is to find speakers that match your room acoustics, and if you can demo a couple of alternatives you may find something better.
If you have a friendly dealer or two willing to help you with this it will be easier. Alternatively you could buy used, but keep an open mind and be prepared to sell on and try something else until you are happy. Loudspeakers tend to depreciate more than Naim boxes so this can be a cost effective way to choose.
When it comes to buying the electronics, I would you start with the source and then the amp.

Good advice, cheers Chris. I shall update the post when I get the Orkestra’s to demo.

Do you know when they’re turning up yet?

Are you gonna demo any other speakers

Good luck!

Hi @joel,

I am currently going thru similar upgrade. Have the Neat Motive SE2 and wanted better sound so the local Neat distributor lent me the Orkestra speakers for home demo. They have great sound, more relaxed, easy to drive. I even played them a couple of days ago with Nait 5i-2 amp. Its of course important for you to demo them at home. Will be happy to get your comments after you listen to them.

See a thread I published here on same matter

Keep the 200 and replace the 202 with the 282.

He tried that…
I lent him a 282 & hicap
Reckoned very little difference??

I was amazed

Purchased the Neat Orkestra today. Am very pleased with them. Dealer mentioned they are bargain for what they sound.

That’s good, however the dealer is hardly going to suggest that they are overpriced.

2 Likes

Thought I would put on an update on this thread as things have progressed with my upgrade path.
So the lovely folks at Neat loaned me a set of Orkestra’s to demo at home on my current system. Wow, I must admit they sounded absolutely fantastic. My foot did not stop tapping whilst my arm hairs were standing to attention! Neat were right when they said my Nap200 would easily drive them. However, as great as they sounded I had to get them past ‘the boss’ and she wasn’t impressed with the look of them….this wasn’t a deal breaker but happy wife = happy life as they say! After doing some further research I ended up getting a brand new pair of Neat Momentum sx5i’s for an excellent price, optional feet included. If I’m honest I do also prefer the more conventional aesthetic look, especially with the chunky feet. I am currently running them in and they are getting better by the day. Now I know they won’t quite match the Orkestra’s for sound quality however this purchase has allowed me to get a Nac282 2021 model for a great price from a dealer. With my new Momentum’s my system is sounding superb. When I’ve sold my nac202 I shall be able to get a pre loved Nap250DR. Overall this will be a more significant overall upgrade than just the speakers….

4 Likes

Yes it will :smiley: You made the right decisions in the end.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.