Speakers! The death of

Hi Mark,

I don’t normally find myself to be in a position to offer advice or even opinion here but I am also running a 102/180 combination and would like to say this: my system a few months ago was CD3.5 with flatcap, Nait3 and Intro 2s. I upgraded the Intros to Allaes simply because a pair was available at a good price. The improvement over the Intros was quite something, but I then realised I needed to change the amplification for something meatier than the Nait (the CD3.5 stayed). After seeking advice, I went for the 102 (with NAPSC and HiCap) and 180. I am now very happy with the system, it’s very balanced with solid, controlled bass.

So, my ‘advice’ would be to add a HiCap to the 102 and definitely try Allaes.

Sean

Thanks Seanf appreciated.

I’ve just taken delivery of the hicap and will get it connected tonight. Only issue I have now is my rack is more than full and I have no where for the hicap and record deck so need to sort that too.

I’m seriously looking at a. Pair of SBL though.

Just sat down to listen to Jo Harman “Dirt on my tongue”
HiCap in place, and warm.

WOW…

And at the moment no clipping or skipping.

Nap180 booked in to see Darren at Class Audio in Sheffield this Thursday.

The sound this is producing is now where I expected it to be and probably more. Let’s see what the serviced 180 brings.

Need a new rack now hahahaha

1 Like

2 Likes

Free upgrade move the NAPSC as far as the cable will allow from the rest of the kit.

Congratulations though on your setup looks great.

I do now defo need a new rack, any other suggestions besides these two. I’ll be needing 6 shelves including a record deck isolation plinth. I can’t stump to these costs and have seen one on Ebay at 500, based in Leeds and can add an isolation for £80. Based on what i have I think it would be a big improvement.

Any suggestions very welcome. You have all helped so much that I’m no longer sat in front of the TV and instead sat in front of my system listening.

I’m unable to get it any further away to be honest.

Thanks for the comment though. Appreciated very much, just need my vinyl on now.

I bought an Isoblue rack on ebay a few years ago to replace an old steel Sound Organisation rack I’d been using. You could also look out for Hutter or Fraim Lite. As you already have a rack that works, so if you keep a lookout, something decent will turn up at a reasonable price.

Pre-fraim, I enjoyed Isoblue, several levels of which were bought pre-owned for very reasonable money. When I changed to fraim, I recovered much of my initial expenditure. Great thing about Isoblue I found was the ability to slide the levels out to access the rear of individual boxes without unloading the shelves.

Peter

1 Like

Nap180 now service ed as well as the XPS as it had. XPS serviced also as it had been serviced with wrong parts.

Got home and the CDX is still writing with sharp, loud gaps. Tried it with out the XPs and it’s fine.

Is there a known problem with the CDX while.being powered by the XPS?

Sounds like electrical and not laser jumping.

Update, just taken a video of it and it was abrupt, then an err on the CD display and it stopped playing and just read the amount of tracks on the disk.

Can you borrow another Burndy?

I can’t believe it’s doing it without it now.

Still skipping on it’s own power. I’d have sworn it sounded electrical.

Cannot believe this, looks like I’ll be calling Darren tomorrow to see what he thinks.

Is the puck one of those with three little rubber rings like float rubbers? Is so these can flatten and the disk doesn’t stay put. They can be carefully rotated until the flat bit is at 90 degrees by putting something thin through the loop (I use a needle) and pressing the O ring against it to get some purchase but be as gentle as possible.

Sounds like time for a service of the CDX. Do give Darran the Burndy as well, so that he can confirm that it is okay. Our XPS-S once had a broken cable in it, though fortunately it was an unused conductor.

Best regards, BF

I took the burndy with the XPS when he serviced it, so presume he checked that too.

That’s what I’m thinking Bluesfan just hope it’s not a dodgy transport after all this. Fingers crossed.

It’s a new puck, well, I bought it last year, so not sure its the problem as I’ve not used the hifi for a while due to me not liking the sound. It’s been switched on all year round apart from when we go away.

Probably mot the puck then if you didn’t leave a CD in the player when not in use.

Check the clamp to see whether the rubber loops are looking compressed. The CDX was designed to play CDs pressed to Red Book standards. Unfortunately many CDs these days are pressed with a centre section that’s too thin (I guess to save a penny a disc) and so unless the clamp rubber loops are in tip top shape there’s a risk of the disc slipping.

I bought a new one last year but for the cost I’ll get a meet one and try that first.

Mmmmmmm, don’t think I did.