Speakers! The death of

Yup, it has happened a couple of times before bit in a year I mean a couple of times.

I’ve emailed the guys in Sheffield for a price for a service on both power amp and CDX as these are the only items not recently serviced.

The CD player doesn’t need servicing unless it goes wrong. I’d leave well alone.

Only reason I said that is it did sound like a harsh skip. I was getting the amp serviced anyway so that’s getting done.

Any ideas hundryhalibut what it could be?

I’ve no idea what a harsh skip might sound like. Normally a skip is left on the drive, filled and then collected.

This is a second or more.

Thinking more like power loss as in capacitor breaking down.

I’ll get the 180 serviced and see what happens

wait a few days and live with this configuration some time…
With each change, the first minutes are always impressive, then it falls and takes a few days to balance.
I still think that the 180 is too strong for Intro…

Maybe that’s why I can’t turn it up the. Probably to 9 o’clock only.

I noticed your point before about an amp being too strong. Why would an amp be too strong? Surely the power amp does not feed anything different than the source and pre-amp provide?

That, I believe, is not unusual. With my system (NAP500 driving S600) I rarely have it much above 9 O’Clock, and never above 11. The room is reasonably large.
I think the thing is that a more powerful amplifier is able to a) control the speaker drivers (and coping with the back EMF) and b) handle transients well - i.e. have a high slew rate.

I’d doubt that. I’ve driven nSats with a 552/300 and they are unbelievably good. The thing with the Intros is that they are a little on the rough and ready side. It’s more likely the 180’s need for a service that’s an issue.

:+1:

Have you still got the ‘harsh skip’ this morning?

At work, will be listening tonight. It will have all had 24hrs switched on the.

the rigidity of the Nsats has nothing in common with the Intro.
I was just part of a finding that I could do myself with different amplifications that I associated with Intro.
I think at first, it would be nice to try a “small” amplifier, rather than put a considerable amount in the source and arrive at the same conclusion.

To be honest, after moving things around and adding the XPs, moving the speakers wider and right against the wall the difference was very noticable.

Hi cap and service for the 180 next.

Good plan Mark.

Pleased that the various tweaks & component changes are making the music more enjoyable.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

If you think that the nap180 can be very good and the next moment bad, then why not

What do you mean by “too strong”?

I think a nap180 puts too much “pressure” on Intro.
With the Credo, this is the amplifier that I choose, but for the Intro, I would not put beyond a nap140.
I do not explain technically what’s going on, I’m just exhibiting an experience.