Speakers to audition

And Neat and (for some ears at least) Harbeth. It may also be best not to ask here whether Naim SBLs are any good…

2 Likes

Buryfc, I am not familiar with the Kudos brand of speakers, what type of speaker design are the 707’s and is this in the same price range as the Fact 12’s?

They were a bit cheaper than the Fact 12’s but have had a price increase since I bought them. I’m not sure if PMC have done the same so they may now be around 2K more expensive. They are isobaric design and very easy to place in the room. The Fact 12 bass was too boomy in my room and both my dealer and myself couldn’t position them to resolve the issue.

Both are very good speakers though.

Excuse my ignorance but are they for hard floors. Spikes would be best for carpet

I agree. Way more bang for the buck with improving the source. The OP’s speakers are good speakers and he’ll hear where his money went.

Yes, hard floors for me. The Gaias can be used with carpet discs if the floor is carpet but I’m not sure if they would work.

Bare hard floors are not great for sound quality in the room, though hard floors under a deep carpet can be good for reducing structure-borne vibration.

My point was that anti vibration devices would only be used on hard floors? I have carpet so spikes should be used on carpet?

1 Like

Happy Listening Buryfc, sounds like you have the right fit for your room, thanks for replying. :+1:

1 Like

Lots of people responded to my queries on Gaias.

A majority on carpet, wood and concrete floors reckoned they were a big improvement. However the majority was biggest on bouncy wooden floors (almost 100%) and more like two-thirds for those mentioning that they had thick carpets. Those who had carpets and liked Gaias tended to use them with the spikes, but not all did.

I hope that helps

3 Likes

We changed from spikes through deep carpet on concrete raft floor to Gaias. The improvement was quite a shock.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

My speaker spikes go through carpet onto a, slightly uneven, quarry tiled floor. It’s a bit of a faff leveling 4 spikes but once done the speakers do not rock at all.
It’s there any rock at all with the Gaias in place?

Some sideways flex on the rubbery bits is normal on Gaias I think, but it doesn’t stop them working well.

2 Likes

The NAP300 isn’t up to driving FACT12s. The NAP135s do a far better job with these speakers and I’ve compared them back-to-back. FACT12s need either a NAP500 or a proper power station amp to really sing, then they are really rather good as @PeterR can attest.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Hi Guinnless,
With The Townshend devices there is freedom to rock about. With the Gaias, the freedom is much more constrained, so it’s more a case of the speakers “flexing” when you press on them, rather than being free to rock about.

Hope this helps, BF

3 Likes

Only reluctantly BF :yum: Best Peter

1 Like

I know, my commiserations Peter. You really do suffer for your music :joy:

Best regards from a fellow sufferer.

1 Like

Interesting, do you get more natural vocal quality with the Gaias?

The true character of voices is revealed, once the veil of uncontrolled bass is removed.

It’s remarkable how human voices, acoustic guitars and even cymbals sound so very much clearer and better. The benefits are absolutely not limited to deep bass, far from it.

Hope this helps, BF

5 Likes

It does, yes👍

1 Like