Speakers with good rhythm

can you explain this sentence for me please…

did you not like the Dreamcatchers ?

I am eyeing a pair some day…to pair with a Naim Nait 5i-2 50W in a smaller room

It would be a blessing for this planet if all Steinways would be turned into cheap uprights. So many ugly recordings around where Mozart gets played on these Steinways.

Anyhow, I wonder if there are loudspeakerbrands which are not mentioned on this topic yet.

2 Likes

… Sonus Faber.

They make some lovely, smooth, effortless speakers and the cosmetic finish is delightful, but timing is not their strong suit.

Theory works for me since Kans, Keilidhs and Ninkas are all sealed and boogie, but wouldn’t want to limit suggestions based on sealed cabs.

Yes, you are right! A bit over 2 years ago - I remember the date - a friend of mine turned 40. He borrowed a place from a friend from him, someone I did not know yet. At the moment I entered the party venue, I noticed large Sonus Fabers loudspeakers and a Naim and Primare setup. Apparently they guy was audio freak and a big fan of … organmusic. He kept turning up the music all night and it reached a level that nobody was able to have a conversation anymore caused by Bachs Toccata and Fugue in F, BWV 540 - surreal! I really liked the top end - smooth - and did wonder what higher level Naim amplification would bring to the party regarding bass control - very important for organmusic.

I used to do stuff like that . . . to clear out the party at the end of the night. People ran for the door, which was my intent.

2 Likes

I mean they’re not great if you listen to a lot of solo piano music but the problem was with the tone and scale rather than the timing aspects. I was playing a lot of Scriabin at the time I auditioned these, this CD in particular.

image|300X300

Apart from what it did to the sound of a piano the Dreamcatcher was a very enjoyable speaker and it could rock its little socks off. The afore mentioned Wishbone Ash is something of a touchstone when I audition as I find it can be reduced to a dreary mess by a lot of setups but comes to life when the system can swing. :grin:

image|300X300

I also enjoyed the Dreamcatchers with Tool, this was another album I used

A pair of Dreamcatchers and suitable stands was going to cost around the same as a pair of used Alleas that had appeared at a dealership in Salisbury and the dealer was prepared to drive them 60 miles for me to try in situ, he didn’t have to collect them but the Dreamcatchers were very entertaining and a lot of fun.

1 Like

Thanks yeti !

My choice of music is more pedestrian - normal rock music / indian male and female vocal / lots of jazz and some ( few / ir-regular ) western classical…

I have heard the Amphion 410 - amazing little speakers but somehow the Dreamcatcher has stuck to my mind… its not undr production anymore though…

I guess for the kind of music mentioned above - it should be fine with a 50W Nait 5i-2

Best regards

With Naim amps? Dynaudios and, if we’re feeling nostalgic, good old Heybrook HB1s…

1 Like

Kans or any of the Ibbles.

1 Like

Harbeths partner very well with Naim. Very rhythmic.

Even the entry level EMIT series is knocking me out on PRaT

Thanks all!

Tell us what you finally decide on

Not the last and recent ones. The Cremona was not very fast.
But now the Olympica series I could listen to are wonderful and quick, disappearing, and very involving.
My ears of course…

I’ve since ordered another LP12 and drained much of my HiFI fund so will only be exploring the lower end of the market, 2nd hand for sure.

I will feedback though. There were so many helpful suggestions and I can’t possibly try them all. Otherwise, I still want to explore Neat, Guru and maybe Dynaudio.

I know many folks will scoff but if you listen to enough online clips you start to get a feel for what’s going on and whether something may suit you or not. Been listening to SBL / SL2 clips today and I must say they sound like my kind of speaker with Kan-like timing, so they’re probably at the top of my list now.

I did compare all 3 pairs of Kans to the ELAs at the weekend and they all blew the ELAs away in terms of musical understanding and rhythm. I thought it would be closer than that since I had enjoyed ELAs in their own right. I do wonder, what if musical understanding is what makes speakers sound more rhythmic to me? If so, then Kans will be hard to beat.

:small_blue_diamond:@Murmur,…Linn Kan IS hard to beat.

A couple of optimally installed Linn Kan is something special,.but all the “errors” in the installation are heard very clearly,so be careful with all parameters in the installation.
It took me a year before my Linn Kan “sang” optimally.

I sold my Linn Kan in the spring of 1991,.but I still miss them.
Also had active Linn Isobarik with “Sixpack”,.but Linn Kan is Linn Kan,an incredibly rhythmic and musical speaker.

mos3

This above is also a very,very musical and rhythmic speaker.
Mumma Audio Mosen,.but I don’t know if you can buy it in the UK.
It’s incredibly good.

/Peder🙂

Thanks Peder.

Yes, it took quite a lot of effort to setup the Kans as they are now. Whether or not they could be better I cannot say.

Nice looking speaker. Never heard of it before.

It’s slanted baffle resembles speakers like Kairos or Reference 3A De Capo

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.