Spending some Bonus

If I could, I’d like to double-like this post!

1 Like

This has merit. In fact, I could do this and lose 1 box - the HiCAP!

1 Like

I figure it’s worth a try, mainly to avoid going further than absolutely necessary.
Worse case I have a means to power an ND555…

2 Likes

I often wonder about this, as an A/B comparison isn’t possible here. The 282/250 seems the next logical step, but it is a lot of money to potentially find the incremental improvement isn’t that much?

The NAC282 would be the better preamp vs either a SN2 or SN3 but then you’ll get yourself into a spiralling debate over what is the right/optimal/best/end game system to build around it. If that was me that would probably end up with a NAP250 DR + Supercap DR + SL IC and speaker pair.
An NDX2 as is or with either an XPS DR or 555PS would be a more than adequate source for that level of system and certainly with a SL IC vs a Hi-Line would be getting you well beyond what a SN based system could deliver and it opens up credible options for more exotic or listening preference speaker matching where again a SN is good to a point but will always struggle with a more demanding speaker to drive that a NAP250/300 would enjoy pushing.
In my case I could support that from a financial investment perspective but factoring for space and setup complexity and the simple fact of finite listening time it puts me off going that route to spend money where I’d enjoy it more elsewhere like a new bike or a nice 4K projector, I could spend that amount and have half a dozen things I could enjoy either alone, with family or with friends.
I enjoy listening to music and value enormously what a well put together system can offer but with 2 preschool age kids and a more than full time job it’s a big investment against return.
I think its why I wanted to experiment with the approach of a maxed out 3 box system with an emphasis on taking the source as far as possible. I had considered an ND555 but overall felt whilst it’s a very capable source it’s not going to be giving all it can through a NAIT whereas the NDX2 feels well matched and balanced and certainly goes some way beyond what the ND5 XS2 ever delivered to me in my system.
I wasn’t expecting the move from a SN2 to a SN3 to be a massive difference and at that time did spin up a thread specific to the relative merits of the HiCap DR on a SN3 vs a SN2. I was willing to let mine go and run the new SN3 without if it was a means to an end to a better source (trade in value) and wasn’t going to be something I’d be forever missing.
I have to say that with the improvements made to the SN3 that the gap is closer against a SN2 + HiCap DR than I imagined. If I added one to the system I’d expect to enjoy it and keep it there but in terms of budget and priority, I’m happy to live without it and instead wait longer to improve the source first.
I could as easily add an XPS DR and leave it there but my reasoning is by instead focusing on adding a 555PS I’ll be so blown away when I add it that’ll I’ll have all I ever need in 3 boxes and not need or want to add more.
I’d like to think I can get a 10 year cycle from this current system and ideally loop it through maintenance cycles for another 5-10 beyond that ideally.
I would like to factor in better speakers at some point but I’m still happy with my PMC’s and to my ears always found the mix of Naim and PMC favourable. I’ve done some basic assessment of speaker options including Focal, ATC, Kudos and Harbeth but at this stage it’s more curiosity than anything else and I always find narrowing down speaker options to an actual purchase more challenging than other aspects of a system, it’s more personal a choice than most other parts of a system ultimately.

4 Likes

I have heard a 555 PSU added to a NDX 2 and the leap in performance was huge. When i heard a demo with all of the streamers together and starting with the ND5 XS 2 and ending with the ND555, and to my ears, adding the 555 DR to the NDX2 was the biggest leap of them all! Bigger than going from NDX 2 to ND555 even though that in itself was huge!

1 Like

Heard on what tho?

Oh yes of course. All was on a 500 Series Naim amplification. To be fair here, the baby ND5 XS 2 really surprised me. It put up a good fight until the 555PSU was added to the bare NDX 2, then it was toast for the baby Naim. It was at that moment that i wanted one and never thought i would ever be able to afford a NDX 2 with it’s PSU.

2 Likes

Thanks again @Mr.M another great and informative post, I really appreciate it. Being of limited funds some of what you as really strikes a chord - I also want a new bike, we need a new car and there are a 101 different things to be done on the house!

Ultimately, where I’m at right now is probably it for now - there’s little chance of a work bonus next year so I’m going to have to start saving. I’m thinking that some time later next year, sell the ND5XS2 and add a s/h / ex demo NDX2.

The 555PS is way out of my league, it would most likely be the HCDR followed by the XPSDR - timewise, probably over the next five years!

2 Likes

It’ll stay as it as today as a 2 box setup for the time being, I’m in no big hurry and happy with how it is performing right now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.