Spendor A7 Vs D7

Dynaudio are mentioned quite a lot in the forums and I will have to demo some.
I was put off a little because I home demoed a pair of Dali Rubicon 6, very impressive but IMO had a weak recessed midrange very noticeable with vocals.
I had read a few times that they have a similar sound signature to Dynaudio.

The Twenty 5.24 you refer to are PMC? not Pro Ac?

I have demoed a pair of Pro ac Response DT8 at a dealer

My mistake, I had the PMC Twenty 5.24 against the Proac D30RS hence my error. I then ran the preferred Proac units against the Evoke 50 and made the choice.
Interesting about the vocals because I would say that is a noticeable strength of the Evokes. I am just loving vocals now!

1 Like

As soon as the lockdown in the UK is lifted I will look into demoing some dynaudio and possibly PMC as well.

The Acoustic Energy AE509 I currently have at home are impressing so far.

Initial impressions are of a muscular rhythmic warm and lush sound, bottom end is tight expressive and very impressive, detail retrieval is excellent
Bags full of PRaT, a real musical and transparent sounding speaker.
Not the type to have that sometimes, short lived initial wow at the dealers demo room, definitely a home audition speaker, I think.

1 Like

Been reading my copy of What Hi-Fi and pleased to see them review the D7.2. They do say it needs careful partnering which I think echoes my thoughts. The better Naim kit powering it the better they sound (mine are the original D7) and it takes months to really run in. Just my personal experience. Don’t think I would upgrade for a while but maybe one day some Kudos Titan 606 :wink:

1 Like

Funnily enough in the What Hi Fi review on the Spendor D7.2 a Burmester 088/911 Mk III Pre-Power amp is used.
It would be have been better if naim amplification was used in the review.

And the What Hi Fi review on the original D7s mentioned “Spendor D7 speakers just edge towards the leaner, brighter side of neutral”
I suppose I prefer a fuller warmer more musical, than Lean/ Bright and analytical speaker with plenty of that naim PRaT coming through from my XS2

And a Bryston BP26/4B SST2 Pre-Power amp was used in the D7 review
Again not naim amplification.

Even in the newish review of the Spendor A7 a Roksan Blak amplifier was used.

I suppose when careful partnering is mentioned in both D7 and D7.2 reviews, it could possibly be indicating warmer, possibly darker sounding amplification to compensate for the brighter, leaner sound.

I have read that Exposure amplification is better suited with spendor D7
Or with the spendor d7/d7.2s being fairly easy to drive a tube/valve amp is highly recommended

Spendor actually specifies that the materials in the surrounds are selected for rapid break in.

1 Like

I use Linn amplification with my Spendor D9s and apply Space Optimisation. I prefer them to the Kudos Titan speakers I auditioned them against. Speaker choice is a personal thing and it doesn’t surprise me views differ. I found the Spendors easy to position and they didn’t need much time to run in. The in-room response from them is very accurate (measured by REW) and this is a feature I like as it gives a very natural musical presentation.

As always I’d ignore reviews and use a home audition to decide what suits you best.

2 Likes

Auditioning many different brand speakers over the past few months has been a revelation to me and really showed me what I want from music and the sound signature I prefer.

I have really enjoyed the different brand experiences.
Each having their own strengths and weaknesses and I suppose you do have to compromise a little eventually.

But it has taught me that home demoing and room interaction is essential before making any final decisions

2 Likes

Interesting that you seem to equate 'musical ’ with terminology like ‘warm’ and ‘full’ rather than ‘lean’ or 'revealing '.

To me 'musical ’ implies balance and neutrality with good drive and ‘PRaT’

I’ve tried a lot of speakers to go with my SN2.And Spendor d7.2 is absolute winner.Wonderfull speaker for live music,for jazz,classics and classic rock.Now awaiting for new pair to arrive.

2 Likes

I suppose Musical can be “warm full or lean and revealing” and it does depend on the individual.

In the case of the Spendor d7s their What Hi Fi description, “leaner and bright” not really neutral

To me “musical” implies dynamic excitement, ability to hold ones attention and also PRaT to mention a few things.

It is also interesting that you equate “musical” with terminology like “balance” and “neutrality”
Yes we are all interesting and different

@EazyRyder, good luck with your search. Your room, ears, and gear and all that…BTW, the Spendor A7’s work nicely for me: SN2-HiCapDR, NDX-XPSDR and WitchHat N2 cable (prefer this to NACA5).

1 Like

I personally found the A7s a far better speaker than the D7 ,(with my XS2) with stronger dynamics, more excitement and a surprisingly fuller bottom end, treble is better balanced than the D7.

1 Like

A did not like those Dynaudio’s with the Star. They weren’t especially bad, but didn’t do anything for me either. I guess I do like a more revealing speaker :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.