Spendor A7 vs Neat Elite Classics

Hey folks.

Has anyone compared the spendor a7’s with the neat elite classics?

I’d be grateful for any observations…

Thanks

Hi @stavrose

Back in February you said the following about the Neat Elite Classics - what has changed?

By the way, I thought the NEC’s were one of the very best loudspeakers in that price range, that I heard at The Bristol Show a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for reminding me.

I am just casually considering different options really.

At the time of buying the NEC’s I demoed the spendor A4. I’ve had a nagging feeling ever since that I should have also demoed the A7’s.

1 Like

I can’t offer a comparison as I have never heard the Neats but IMHO, the A7’s are great speakers. Obviously, the only way you’ll know which is best (and yours is the only perspective that counts) is to audition them with an identical system to yours. Good luck.

1 Like

I haven’t heard the Neats, but I have heard the A4s and A7s pretty extensively as part of my process for selecting new speakers. I think the A7s are definitely superior…I find the A4s had a bloated bass at certain frequencies - the A7s had none of that, and were better otherwise as well. I am awaiting delivery of the A7s in fact - I picked them over everything else I listened to. Voices and the musicality of bass were standout elements for me. The A7s use the bass tube technology from the D series which I think is the biggest difference from the A4s.

1 Like

Wow! I love NEAT speakers! Anyone here have a view on the new Mystique Classic as a potential contender also? :innocent:

No idea about the new ones, but had a pair of mystique 2s for 15 years. Not sure id recommend those. But, my system has changed a lot since then.

1 Like

Well, i’ve just read a mouth watering review on them. I have to say, i’m so glad i’ve kept my Motive SX2’s whilst i decide where to go next, or not…perhaps just a little more bite will do…not too much mind…:sunglasses:

There’s an excellent review of the new Mystiques in Mays edition of HiFi Choice with an even better one of the Elites on the web based The Ear where they called the Elites a HiFi sensation.
I upgraded from the Motive SX2 to the Elites and I’m very pleased with their performance although they still have only about 100 hours on them where Neat recommend at least 200 hours before they will reach their best which is great as they already sound pretty amazing on the end of my SN3.

1 Like

That’s great and very encouraging. Thank you.

1 Like

Had Mystique Classics and Elite Classics on home demo. I found the Elites much better to my ears - as you’d probably expect from a bigger and more expensive speaker in their range. It also has a better mid/bass driver that is used in their Ultimatum range.

1 Like

Aren’t the A7’s about 4K which is a good uplift on the cost of the Elites which is probably not a fair comparison anyway although I do think the Elites punch above their weight
A better comparison might be to audition the A7’s against a pair Neat Ekstra’s with my money going on the Ekstra’s

Hi Stavrose, thank you for sharing your experience. Have you thought about going NDX 2/XPS DR/ SuperCapDR/NAC252 before changing your current speakers?

If I upgraded the speakers it would be a modest upgrade. Certainly not enough money to purchase a bunch of boxes.

I might not find the ideal speaker to replace the Elites. Just been thinking about some alternatives around the 4k level.

Ok, a good point. Do you think A7’s may solve your already mullet system (problem)?

A7’s are 3.95k. Elites are 3.5k.

So not too far apart. In terms of price the A7’s are not really an upgrade to be fair. But still, I’m curious how they compare.

You think I have a mullet system? How so?

Well; what do you think? Do you seriously think your speakers require upgrading? The NAP250 is certainly up to the job, but…. What have you worked out that would be more additional?:thinking:

Better source, better pre, rather than better speakers. I join Stephen here.
Maybe 222, or Ndx2/ 282/ hicap, but this later gives more boxes and is more expensive.

Speakers should be the last change.