Spendor A7 with SN3

I’m looking for a significant upgrade from my Neat SX1 speakers. Short list is A7, Dynaudio evoke 30, kudos s20. Size and looks are important - all of these are similar in size.
Of course I will audition at a dealers and then at home but I just want to gauge opinion first.
Here’s the rub; I need to place them very close to a rear wall!
They also need to look good - my short list is based on the max size that I can get away with.
Regarding close to the wall, I listen at moderate volume levels as opposed to very loud or even quite loud. Does this mean that rear ports close to a boundary are less significant at lower volumes?

1 Like

I have Spendor A7s. They are close to sidewalls but heavily toed in, distance from the rear wall is about 40cm from memory.
Spendor’s website has the recommended position details - I think the minimum distance from the rear wall is 30cm.

1 Like

I listened to the evokes briefly and dident think much of them

Very interesting - on looks alone these would be my favourite!
Looking forward to hearing the A7s.
By the way, have you ever heard the kudos S20s? Again, I like the look and size of them but most reviews/views tend to suggest that they are a bit harsh in the treble.

Kudos are not available here so have never heard them. Out of interest what kind of music do you listen to most?

1 Like

I haven’t, sorry. I originally went to listen to some A5Rs but they weren’t enough of an improvement over Credos, so we (me and the missus) listened to the A7s and that was that :blush:
We didn’t listen to anything else otherwise you can start doubts in your head. The A7s were brill on everything from June Tabor to Black Sabbath. :guitar::notes:

2 Likes

Wow, everything from Pogues, Popes, chieftains, Van Morrison, Mark Knopfler, Diana Krall, classical, reggae, led zep, saw doctors, Christy Moore, country, ramones, police, and so much more - probably not much help!

I see! Nice Irish influences there! I would consider the A7’s quite refined so not an all out ballsy party type loudspeaker, great for female vocals, jazz and electronic I find

1 Like

Yes, I find that I have moved away from heavier rock and concentrate on more intricate forms of music as I get older. There is no beating good Irish or Irish influenced music - I have heard it all my life and will never tire of it. I can listen to Ceilidh music for hours and even the old ballads by the likes of Tommy Clancy/Big Tom/Dubliners etc.
However, listening to The Gloaming makes me realise just how poor my Gaelige is!

1 Like

How about some SBLs? Made to go up against the wall.

How close is close? I have my Totem Hawks (rear ports) quite close to a wall in my media room/office. I listened again to the new Tribe Towers, they are really nice and there is a wall mounted version to. I have the Forest Signatures with my SN2 and that is a lovely match, their web site gives wall setback guidelines.

I recently demo’d an XS3 with A7’s and the bass was booming about 250mm off wall, that calmed down another 100mm off wall.

Maybe not a problem with the SN3?

This is why it’s always best to demo either with your own kit or something representative of what you have. I heard the A7s with 282/Supercap DR/300 DR.

1 Like

Really like the a7 when I have heard at shows , preferred to the bigger d7 actually

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

Yes I have and the bigger models
I bought Spendors so must have preferred them.

Christy will sound great through any system, but especially good through Spendors. Seen him live a few times including once with Planxty.

Exactly why you need to listen for yourself - I prefer D7s, but both are excellent.
Loudspeakers are room dependent and subjective so no surprise there are different preferences.

I have my A7’s 700 mm from the wall. SN2 with HiCap DR, I’m happy. As most have said, demo them to find out if they will work for you.

2 Likes