Spotify just announced, Spotify HiFi!

Have you tried it? Spotify 320 really do sound surprisingly good.

6 Likes

I fully agree Jan … I tend to see some, let’s call it ‘hi-fi snobbery’ which easily chases away the younger generation …

5 Likes

I used Spotify for a while when I first got into streaming and it did sound reasonably good, although not quite as good as Tidal or my own ripped CDs.

However, the reason I won’t be switching to Spotify HiFi when it’s up and running is that I now exclusively use Roon as my music interface along with Tidal. The integration of my local music library with that of Tidal, along with a number of other features that Roon provides cannot be matched by anything out there including Spotify.

As long as Roon remains, and as long as it retains integration with one or more comprehensive streaming services then I won’t be moving to anything else.

In the event that Spotify Hi-Fi ever partners with Roon (and I am pretty sure that this will never happen), then I would probably consider moving from Tidal to Spotify HiFi.

1 Like

Why? What’s wrong with TIDAL?

Why not Qobuz? It easilt sounds better than Tidal. And yes Spotify 320 sucks ass when it comes to audio quality.

Here’s my take on audio quality :

Cd Rips> Qobuz>Tidal>Spotify

Qobuz at 24/96 or 24/192 can sound better than CD rips sometimes,depending on the mastering.

6 Likes

A lot of the Linn boys are getting excited that Spotify is now showing up as CD quality BitRate on their DS players.

So it looks like the rollout - or at least mainstream testing - is starting…

2 Likes

They’ve had a software update recently, so I wonder if that is related?

1 Like

So a big in Linn’s new software could be misreporting the bit rate of Spotify… Well - having used Linn software for a while, I certainly recognise that as possible!

1 Like

May indeed be a bug…

…or may be real!

Does it matter? Either they hear an improvement, or it doesn’t matter whether it’s real or not.

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

So anyone know if Spotify hi fi will work on my Unitiqute2. Fairly pleased with 320 tbh, so won’t be trading up to Atom just yet.

Clare, can I assume previous gen Naim streamers will not play Spotify HD?

We’re under strict NDA with Spotify about forthcoming projects, so i’m afraid I can’t share anything until they give us the go-ahead to release information

1 Like

Hi guys,

Spotify Hifi is still in integration development - no manufacturer has launched it to customers yet. I think Linn are just reported the decoded rate, rather than the lossy codec input rate. Naim are an official launch partner with Spotify, so you have picked wisely on buying Naim Audio!!

As it’s all under strict NDA on the rest of it we can’t comment until Spotify press the big launch button.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

9 Likes

I see no reason why not… just remember the Naim first gen streamer have limited TCP memory so will be more prone to drop outs as with Tidal on the Naim first gen streamers.

2 Likes

I have gathered elsewhere (perhaps some brands are under less strict NDA’s? I won’t provide a link though :wink: ) that Hifi should be a drop-in addition to the existing bitrates.

So if your streamer currently supports Spotify 320, Hifi will be simply be added as an option in the same manner, without additional requirements.

3 Likes

That would be great news!

Well it would certainly beat waiting for sign off from Sonic for 8 months.

1 Like