SQ - Roon vs Audiophile NAS (melco/innuous)

is 1st Gen Muso QB

prefer ethernet on NDS from what i have read gives better SQ (according to other mind not tried it??!?)

added bonus just been informed can get further 20% off due to my role as key worker… damn that has made a damn good offer almost irresistible …

chris/anyone what do you use to power the sonore upnp bridge ifi power plug/???

It’s an occupational hazard of mine to look for things that can go wrong…so could it be that the iFi bridge only allows one squeezebox device (or one Naim squeezebox) so it picks up your QB only? I presume you tried disconnecting it and your sonos? Same could apply to the Sonore UPnP bridge; I only have one player on my network so I can’t test it for you. Perhaps @ChrisH knows the answer?

1 Like

trying taking out the Muso QB now see if does anything fingers crossed

chris how is your network set up for this as i think this is how i will go just want to avoid issues am seeing now thx mat

Ooh, I never knew about that. With both my wife and me as key workers I wonder if we could get 40%… Have to see where this applies.

worth a punt you never know :wink:

yes got it working!!! laptop> melco > NDS with ifi bridge

now need to track down what was causing the issue (switched off too many things at once… :frowning:)

1 Like

Its quite straightforward @mbj666, the plug comes with it - see photo.
(although the Bridge came from the US, I dont remember having an issue with the plug, cant remember how it arrived though)
See below for the instructions.
You also get a 60day Roon trial…

Did I answer your question or was there another one you asked, I wasnt quite sure ?!

1 Like

thats great chris other question was just sanity checking how your network was set up going to your innuous

(just to compare vs my current network set up, as clearly something was causing me issues as weekend warrior suggested, just trying to track down what it was by comparing vs yours and process of elimination if that make sense)

e.g. mine nework currently is (forgot the extra stuff on it…)

network is router > switch > QNAP NAS > WD NAS > orbi wifi (tv/roku/few dreaded powerlines connected to that 1st switch feeding printer EE set top box in other rooms)

2nd switch fed off first 1st switch with Muso QB/laptop > lan isolator > Melco > NDS

thanks for the help so far really appreicate it

My network is quite straightforward, nothing complicated, complicated can lead to network issues :slightly_smiling_face:

Network routing is as follows:
Phone line in > Router > Switch > Innuos (hardwired, runs through floor from switch upstairs to Innuos downstairs) > NDS
Off the same switch upstairs I have Ethernet cable > Sonore UPnP Bridge (ie. on same network as NDS), I also have my desktop PC, QNAP NAS (Upstairs) and Apple TV box (downstairs) connected

As you can see, nothing fancy!

Hope this helps @mbj666

1 Like

Well after getting roon working and Chris’s assistance

Pulled the trigger on the zenith mk3 and sonore upnp managed to get 20% off as key worker on the zenith and a good deal on trading in the Melco and even managed to find a code for free delivery from USA on the sonore

Having a good day!!! :smile:

Thankyou for all the guidance and options on helping modernise my nds with roon

Now feels like time for a beer and some music

4 Likes

When isnt it.

2 Likes

If you go for the Innuos then consider the USB to SPDIF conversion as without you will not benefit from it’s RAM buffering.

I love Roon (the interface and curation), tried it 3 times, but every time I swap back to iPeng (urghhh) and RAM buffering it is so much better.

Annoyingly Innuos put in place an experimental mode with Roon, but Roon don’t see the value hence it temperamental and inferior SQ.

i have a good bnc bnc cable around and will not doubt give it a whirl at some point

i thought NDS sounded best via ethernet or that is what i have read on the forum consistently ???

Let us know how you get on!

Because it appears to be unique to Innuos. I used to use Squeezelite for years and heard no benefit from increasing its memory buffers nor any difference when I switched to using Roon. Sounds like a hardware issue they are finding a workaround for if your ask me.

will do been told a week or so lead time :slight_smile:

spent most of tonight messing on quobuz via roon does sound different to melco but quite suprised how good is sounding via a rigged up laptop running core and streaming quobuz

Glad you got it working. Did you find the culprit on your network?

I went for an Audiostore device as it seemed more “Roon friendly” than Innuos, but they do get excellent reviews so I’ve no doubt you will be happy with it. I’ve just bought a Cisco 2960 switch and new Ethernet cable (without any listening tests, so fingers crossed it - I’m a bit of a sceptic about these things) so hopefully it makes it makes a positive change.

Next on my to do list is to try room correction which will be an option for you now with Roon.

BTW, who is your local dealer - I see you are North West based like me.