SQ - Roon vs Audiophile NAS (melco/innuous)

it takes an eternity to locate anything so for example ran it 6/7 times today and only once has it found the NDS and to do that it must of searched for an hour ???

May have covered This already but I have heard said multiple times that Roon equalizes the SQ of streamed Qobuz/Tidal to the locally streamed content stored on a NAS.But does it improve it to the level of the local stream or does it bring down the local stream quality to the level of internet streamed Qobuz/Tidal?

1 Like

Is there something else running on your network that is interfering with it? Maybe unplug everything else from your network and see if that helps?

Not sure what your implying but Roon doesn’t equalise anything. Sound the same for local files as Naim app does on UPnP.

1 Like

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/upnpbridge?variant=6964135395362
There is always this, but you’d still need a Core
(what ChrisH posted above)

Sounds like a network issue with UPnP discovery of it take ages. It find all mine very quickly.

any clues what to do about that??? rest of network fine and NDS fine too

Whats your network setup?

Ok thanks that answers my question.

i can see the NDS on windows explorer ok as a streaming device

network is router > switch > orbi wifi (tv/roku/printer/few dreaded powerlines connected to that 1st switch)

2nd switch fed off first 1st switch with lan isolator NDS/Melco/Laptop conntected to this

thx

mat

fed up with software have to say wondering if best building a ROCK NUC and just getting the sonore UPNP Bridge (do they have local UK dealer or just USA?)

also any pointer on building a good ROCK know trickydicky uses this in his NDS setup/system which is nigh on identical to mine bar the 555DR (which am envious of) ; :wink:

You can buy a ready made one, a few places out there offer fanless ones in custom cases google Roon server will likely come up with some. I don’t use a NuC myself and bought a custom built i7 machine silent pc that runs ROCK flawlessly and cost a lot less than a NUC. But if you want the UPnP bridge get a AudioStore box from Vortexbox, less box count one lot of software.

1 Like

All roads lead to Martin Smith at Audiostore I think as he deals with SGC.
In my case I had a 10 year old NAS that needed replacing so the Audiostore Prestige was a no brainer as it did everything including having the Sonore UPnP bridge built in. I also didn’t feel I had the necessary IT skills to attempt a DIY option.
Did you try simplifying your network, or even connecting your NDS over wi-fi just to test it out?

I think what you are saying is that is local streaming as bad as Tidal/QoBuz?!! i.e. is it the lowest common denominator!

The answer is no. I rigorously compared Roon to my local UPNP server before adopting Roon. There was no doubt to me that there was no difference between local UPNP and local Roon and that Tidal/QoBuz is on a par.

I started with Tidal and then moved over to QoBuz when their price reduced. I’ve now replaced quite a number of my CD quality albums with their studio master equivalents in my QoBuz library. To achieve this I moved the files to a separate area not visible to Roon but still accessible by my UPNP server which is there as a backup.

1 Like

tried connecting NDS straight into the second switch to no avail (dont understand why as windows can see the NDS on the network and is simple hard wired ethernet with 2 switches) just get the spinning circle searching for squeezbox devices …

I purchased my NUC in parts.

All I needed was:

Intel i3 8th Generation NUC Barebone: BOXNUC8I3BEH3
Intel 760p 128GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD: SSDPEKKW128G801
Crucial 8GB DDR4 2400 MT/s SO 260pin: CT8G4SFD824A

It’s very simple to assemble. All you do is open the case (4 screws) and install the SSD (1 screw) and memory (no screws).

Then follow the instructions on Roon’s website to download the ROCK image to a USB stick and install on to the NUC. Installation takes a few minutes. Once installed you have to tell Roon where your music is and it will find and index it all. Thereafter it’s self maintaining, mine’s been running almost a year now and hasn’t put a foot wrong.

I already have an external 2TB disk that I use for the music. You can also still use a NAS for this as the ROCK can use the music on the NAS. One day I will put a disk inside the NUC, hopefully an SSD when prices fall.

I wouldn’t worry about silent solutins unless you plan to have the NUC in your listening room. It’s really very quiet, ours is in our home office and you don’t notice it running. The external hard disk spins down when not being used and that’s probably the nosiest thing.

1 Like

@mbj666, sorry it’s past my pay grade now. I wish you the best of luck

Yes that’s exactly what I meant.thanks for the reply. Plan on looking into to getting Roon set up.
Probably just keep it simple with a Nucleus in my rack in the basement

going to order the sonoro upnp bridge (software totally done my head-in) also been given really good offer on trading my melco for an innuous zenith mk3 by my dealer (curse him and his temptations…)

really like the roon interface but only been able to play with it on my sonos and muso QB speakers :frowning:

1 Like

Is that a 2nd generation QB that is Roon ready? If so then check that adding the Sonore UPnP bridge doesn’t mess that up. If it’s a 1st gen and not Roon ready then I guess it will be OK.

If you get a Zenith then you have the USB/SPDIF option too and so don’t need the Sonore UPnP bridge.