SSD or HDD for the new unity memory?

Does anyone have a view on this ? The Solid state drives ( SSD ) have become much bigger in memory size and have also come down markedly in price. I have read as much as I can about comparing the two technologies but there is not a lot of discussion around audio reproduction quality etc. I would welcome views here as I am purchasing the new NAIM unity server this coming week. I have the old SSD with a NAS and I am looking forward to the new platform.

SSD they make no noise.

At the Bristol Show this weekend Naim were using and recommenced standard HDD.

I’ve been using a 2TB Seagate Pipeline in my Core for nearly two years totally silent when playing music.

Yes, NAIM are using the mechanical HDD in these servers - my sales rep says NAIM “like how it sounds” and this is the reason for the choice versus any noise considerations which the uniti-serve and now uniti-core take out. It’s this “like how it sounds” that I am questioning. The answer is not obvious to me. If the signal is digital how can the drive SSD make any tonal contribution at all ?

I went SSD in my Core after running HDD in my Serve for several years. No issues with either. I just fancied something that could sit on the equipment rack without whirring away 24/7.

1 Like

I suspect there is no discernable difference in sound quality between SSD and HDD in the Core for most people. I didn’t notice any myself. I did notice that the SSD is silent running unlike the recommended HDD and it runs cool, also unlike the recommended HDD.

Best

David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.