Stageline and 102/Hicap

I am thinking about getting a stage line S to replace my 523 boards in my 102. I have a spare Hi Cap supply to power the Stageline but looking at the connections manual on the Naim website I am still a bit confused. The stagelines I have seen come with a 5 pin snaic for the power but what do I use to connect the stage line into the Aux Din connector on the 102.

I also understand that the amp will require a change to the board wiring to cut out the phono boards, can this be done at a dealer?

So apart from all the extra expense what are your opinions to doing this? Worth the money? I am currently using a AT OC9/11 but looking to change this to the replacement OC9XML or possible the OC9XSH. AT have said I can get a 35% discount if I trade in my old cartridge so am tempted by this. Deck is LP12 with Ittok LV11

thanks

many thanks

With the internal boards, I’d say a Stageline is totally pointless. If you want an upgrade, and as you have an LP12, get a Prefix mounted in the turntable and power it from your hicap.

Does the internal board sound better than the Stageline?
Btw @StewB, you will need an addition 4-pin snaic from the Stageline to your pre-amp.

I wouldn’t say it’s any worse.

I wouldn’t bother. If you want a proper upgrade then consider a Prefix or better still a Superline instead.

The Internal phono boards do pull down the overall performance of the Preamp a bit because the HiCap then has an extra load on one of its rails. Probably more significantly, the internal phono boards have to share a single power rail with some of the pre’s line stages, so they won’t work optimally either.

A Stageline powered by a separate HiCap will mean it has a dedicated power rail for each channel and the preamp line stages will then have a HiCap to themselves, so the whole lot works more optimally. That’s the way my system is set up (my ‘stageline’ is not one I can elaborate on here - but it’s the same thing without the logo :wink:). I wouldn’t go back to internal phono boards now as the music is just so much more enjoyable this way.

I had considered a prefix, but that’s not compatible with a Rega arm without some work and I wasn’t about to butcher the leads of an RB1000! In your case with a Linn arm it makes sense though and would likely be the best move.

One other thing - if you haven’t already, get a NAPSC for the 102 before doing anything else. It really helps the 102 perform much more musically.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your comments, very helpful and some things to consider now. Mr Tibbs, I do have a NAPSC for the 102 and yes it did improve it. I have a NAP 180 plus recently purchased NEAT Iota Alpha speakers which are wonderful. The combinations works very well, but the LP12 does need some attention and a service, so perhaps now is the time to think about a prefix as it all has to be taken apart for this and the new cartridge when I get to it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.