Stageline - Appreciation and/or Criticism

Max I got your point and I think we are on the same page… :blush:
For the time being I am really enjoying my new Stageline/Flatcap XS with the Clearaudio/Yamaha deck. In the frame of my system it really sounds very good indeed even though I have to admit it lacks a bit of refinement, “class” so to say. We’ll see with the VPI/Grado set.
Bye
Alessandro

Interesting Rotch. I believe my 10X5 has a similar output to your DV at around 2.8mV, but my dealer supplied me with a Stageline S rather than the N that you are using. I could ask my dealer, but does anyone know why the different implementations?

I was thinking of the ‘S’ version but my dealer said the ‘N’ type would be the best bet. I had borrowed a trichord dino with the never connected psu, it sounded good but not as good as the Stageline thru aux2 so when i got my hi-cap I was pleasantly enlightened…

For a cartridge with a 2.8mV output, you should use a Stageline N. The Stageline S is only for low output MCs.

Hello,
I’ve just set up a Stageline N and a Rega RP3 with Dynavector 10x5, old model with elliptical stylus. Stageline in matched to Nait 5italic and powered by i-Supply. The sound is very enjoyable, a bit relaxed, It is the kind of sound that encourages you to play music again and again, in comparing to e.g. a Lehmann Audio BC SE, that I had, the BC has a more attractive sound at the first glance, but as the time goes on, you feel it too “artificial” and over pumped with the music all in front of you lacking of deepness.
In my current setup, Stageline has a bass rendition that is no match for my CD5italic. The only issue is that the output with 10x5 is a bit low. If with CD5italic I have the Nait volume at 9-10 o’ clock, now I have to crank to 12 - 1 o’clock but the feeling is to have anyway a bit less energy.

1. Any more specced power supply will increase the gain?
  2. Which model of MM cartridge do you reccomend for a good match with the Stageline N?
    Thanks.
    Stefano

Stefano, a phono stage should equalise and amplify your cartridge to line level. However, this is often still quite a bit lower in level compared to CD, which for some reason was specced at a rather high 2V - before CD line level was usually around 300-800mV.

The 10x5 is a so-called “high output” MC, but like most of its kind, it’s still has an output that’s quite a bit lower than most MMs. A power supply will not increase gain. I find that Audio technics match well with the Stageline N. The Stageline is quite a dark and earthy sounding stage, so best matched with carts that are bright and energetic…

Hi Stefano, that is exactly the feeling I had when I started using the Stageline N, and still nowadays after nearly one month of use everytime I am pleased to feel the same.

As far as I am concerned the Clearaudio Concept V2 is an excellent match, I am currently using it with an old(very) Yamaha YP800 and it is surprising to say the least. Maybe the Grace arm is also contributing. I use mine through a Flatcap XS
Bye
Alessandro

I asked my dealer why he spec’d the S model for use with my 10X5 and not the N. He says that in his experience, provided the power supply is a high quality 24V supply as with the Aux2 socket on my 552, then clipping should not occur and the S simply sounds better. I’ve not heard the N, but I can certainly vouch for the sound that I’m getting.
Kevin

Interesting to hear Kevin. Do you not even get clipping on a really high level (hot) cut?

I’ve heard some using a High Output MC with the E Stageline or Prefix to very good effect.

Not that I’ve noticed Richard. What does clipping actually sound like if I’m trying to listen out for it?

Into a phono stage I guess it would be increased distortion. I can’t say it’s something I’ve ever done though.

As ever, if it sounds good, it probably is good.

Hi,
in theory for 10x5, Dynavector specifies to use an input load > 1000 ohm, so Stageline S should not match it, being set at 470 ohm. Pratically, it should be fine to your ears…

Thanks Richard,
in have in my radar to upgrade to Linn LP12 Majik.

Someone has experienced sinergy between Stageline N and Adikt cartridge too?

Yes, Stageline N and Adikt should work well together. Also consider trying the Lejonkou Slipsik phono stage, which, IIRC, was designed with the Adikt in mind.

2 Likes

I currently use a Slipsik 6 (€ 1,100 new) with my Adikt and the sound is superb.

A new improved version (mk 7) is imminent though.

I’m also monitoring some s/h Stageline’s N on eBay to make a comparison.

M.

I am very pleased with my Stageline S/ AT-OC9 MLII combination which has made me fall in love with my Linn again.
IMO we can’t talk about absolutes, ie this stage is a better stage than that one. It’s all about synergistic combinations between stage and cartridge. (New forum, same old stuff from Chris).
C.

KRM - I replaced the Stageline with a now pretty rare Attwood Concert phono stage and PSU. Works beautifully with mid range moving coils like Dynavector or Audio Technica. Sadly double the price of a Stageline but I just couldn’t live with that one. My CDX2 was outperforming the LP12 so I knew something wasn’t right.

BTW - just had the baseplate replaced on my LP12 which includes a few little goodies in the upgrade. Not megabucks as are most of the Linn upgrades these days. Well worthwhile. Improves the soundstage and instrument imaging. Thoroughly recommended to all LP12 nutters like me…

Anyone know why Naim’s lowest loading for the stageline variants is 470 ohms?

Kolner, it’s historical. Most Naim users had a Linn front end with either a Supex, or Supex based Linn cartridge onboard. So, the “S” (ever wonder what S attends for, now you know…) loading is suitable for the Supex based carts - 470 ohms.

With the arrival of the Linn Karma, the HF rolloff was dialled back and the loading was tweaked to 560 ohms - hence the “K” type for boards, Stageline and Prefix.

4 Likes

It’s lovely to have you in this forum Richard :smiley: a wealth of information…
Thank you for explanation
Bye
Alessandro

1 Like