Stageline - Appreciation and/or Criticism

Alessandro, these days the K load is basically considered suitable for most all Linn MCs, and indeed many other high quality MC cartridges. S seems to work best with Dynavectors, and is perhaps the safest choice for other MCs if you’re unsure. The loading difference is pretty small really. The main difference is in the HF rolloff, which is much steeper beyond 20kHz on the S compared to the K.

The Superline can, of course, have any load you choose beyond the supplied standard values, thanks to the interchangeable plugs.

1 Like

Learn something new everyday. Thanks Richard!

Stu

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Thank you for that history Richard. I thought maybe there was some unknown technical reason rather than historical alignment with a small number of brands.

I would think this alignment is now out of date.

I would think Naim would rethink their moving coil stageline strategy. For example, no Rega user can use a stageline as required loading for the moving coils is 100 ohms. Anything beyond this and their cartridges become etched, bright, and lose bass. Many other cartridges suggest 100 ohms as well. I would certainly like to try one and perhaps keep it in the tool set when I want to throw in some more Naim sound. Not possible with today’s configurations. Who sells more cartridges and turntables today that pair with stageline level: Rega or Linn or defunct Supex?

My opinion is that the current spec for at least one stageline loading configuration doesn’t make sense. The difference between 470 ohms and 560 ohms is minimal on its own and more so when compared to an alternative. Two mc loading options consisting of 100 ohms and somewhere in the range of 470 ohms and 560 ohms would be a good option and which might increase sales.

Kolner, I agree. It’s a shame you can’t easily change the loading of the Stageline (at least not while within warranty) like you can with the Superline. Maybe a refreshed and revised Stageline or a 100 ohm option would be a good idea at some point, particularly if the resurgence in vinyl replay continues.

I’m one of those customers – thought about a Naim phono stage, of course, but the Stageline isn’t right for my Rega Apheta2, as far as I could tell. Superline was money I’m not ready to spend at least until a used one pops up.

By the way…did anyone test or is using Stageline and relevant power supplies with AR Sound cables…? I went through some reviews or comments but most of the knowledge resides in the old forum…
A good day to anyone of you.
Alessandro

Richard,
Was Stageline N originally matched to Nagaoka pick ups?

Kuma, as far as I know the ‘N’ for MM just means ‘normal’, probably from the days when MM was the norm and the very MCs available were the exception.

Has someone tried the Stageline with the i-supply, compared to the AUX 2 powered input?

And the i-supply on the upgrade 1 of the 152 and the flatcap with the Stageline.

M.

Sadly Richard, you’ve sparked a bout of Audiophilia Nervosa here and my dealer will be sending me his Stageline N to try against my S sometime in mid-Feb. He’s confident that I will quickly be sending the N back to him, but it will be interesting to compare. I will report back on this thread.
Kevin

Kevin, please do. A shame though that there isn’t an E as well, as that might be best of all here.

While I’m waiting for the new Slipsik 7, in the last few days I played with a Stageline N (found s/h at a bargain price), powered by the aux 2 input of my NAC 152 / FC XS (both upgrades).

I can confirm that the Stageline is a good match for the Adikt and that, for its price (bare, powered by the NAC), it’s a lot of fun (Naim sound, PRAT, good soundstage, good bass etc.).

The Slipsik 6 (€ 1,100) is in another league though (more musical, more alive, better instruments separation).

M.

Hi there, tonight first session with the new VPI Prime an Grado Ref Sonata 2… too early to have a clear picture, need a good burn-in first…but… :yum:

Does anyone know if it is possible to power a stageline from a NAPSC? They look aesthetically matched whilst a HC seems a overly expensive option.

i had before the stageline powered by a flatcap, with nac 282. Then i bought a second hand olive hicap, which for me improved the stageline/ flatcap. A new stageline with new hicap is good but too expensive for what it does. For the price you can have Tom Evans the Groove or ASR exclusive phono ( both second hand) , well ahead for me.

No, you can’t power a Stageline from a NAPSC. The most basic supply is/was the discontinued i-Supply(S), although I’d certainly recommend you look beyond towards something like a Flatcap2xs, or a secondhand but serviced Hicap.

The S is good Richard. Provided the Stageline receives the full 24V if using a 10X5. I have N, S, and K on permanent demo for people to judge for themselves. S is preferred in nearly all cases. An excellent little phono stage for the money IMHO.

1 Like

Peter, thanks for confirming. Good to know.

Wouldn’t a DV10X5 overload a Stageline S?